problems with new motor

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
Well i just started up my new motor yesterday and it had oil pressure and idled fine except for a check engine light. so today i buttoned everything up and went to drive it and it started to lean out and lose all power. now i know that this is almost guaranteed knock sensor issues but they worked fine before the rebuilt motor. but i do have a SAFC-II installed and it is spliced into the Knock sensor 1 wire at the ECU. is this what is causing my problem and if so why or is it something else?

car2

Jan 31, 2006
las cruces, NM
sounds familiar. I definitely think its your knock sensor. double check it by checking the trouble code from your check engine light. the haynes manual has a section on how to do it and its easy if your car has a supermonitor. simply disconnecting my knock sensor caused problems similar to what you are describing. hope I've helped

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Knock sensors are delicate and expensive.
Pull the codes and tell us what you've got.

Can't help ya much without codes!

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
code 31 and 51

also it idles fine and when starting out driving it dones fine but it appears that once you near boost is when it just leans out. i do have an aftermarket FPR and idk if they come preadjusted or anything but i didnt touch it so maybe taht could be it?

mkiii88supra

Jan 15, 2006
PA
well i disconnected the vaccuum to the FPR and it seemed to do a little better but still around boost it just stops. i also tried to clear the codes and start over and it didnt run at all when the codes are off it seems like its getting too muchfuel at that point. could it be the AFM because that is what the one code is for?