power windows

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
ok my power windows worked fined 3 weeks ago, i had the car sitting for a while and then today i tried to put down the windows and they dont go down anymore, can it be a fuse problem, if so where can i find this fuse?

Kb865supra

May 2, 2009
Yakima, WA
The fuse for the windows is the 7.5Amp GAUGE fuse and it's located behind the kick-panel on the left of the driver side floor. That fuse is also tied into the instrument cluster, back-up lights, the check engine light, defogger and several other things, so if your gauges and reverse lights still work that fuse is probably fine, but it wouldn't hurt to check it anyway.

There is also a circuit breaker in the power window switch circuit. The CB also has the power seat switch and door lock relay tied into it, so like the relay if the power seats and door locks work then it's probably ok.

You didn't mention whether the car is currently in a running state and you said that is was sitting for a while did you check to see if the battery is fully charged?

I guess that's a starting point.

Falken

May 31, 2009
Los Angeles
Kb865supra;1365054 said:
The fuse for the windows is the 7.5Amp GAUGE fuse and it's located behind the kick-panel on the left of the driver side floor. That fuse is also tied into the instrument cluster, back-up lights, the check engine light, defogger and several other things, so if your gauges and reverse lights still work that fuse is probably fine, but it wouldn't hurt to check it anyway.

There is also a circuit breaker in the power window switch circuit. The CB also has the power seat switch and door lock relay tied into it, so like the relay if the power seats and door locks work then it's probably ok.

You didn't mention whether the car is currently in a running state and you said that is was sitting for a while did you check to see if the battery is fully charged?

I guess that's a starting point.

the car is running great... been driving it all day today with the windows up lol no A/C :*( so hot for me lol, the gauges lights work fine, so does the reverse lights... my blinkers and emergency lights dont work either ugh, i dunno wat happend

Kb865supra

May 2, 2009
Yakima, WA
Falken;1365106 said:
the car is running great... been driving it all day today with the windows up lol no A/C :*( so hot for me lol, the gauges lights work fine, so does the reverse lights... my blinkers and emergency lights dont work either ugh, i dunno wat happend

Did they all stop working at the same time? I noticed that you have a 1jz swap. How long has it been in there? Maybe it was just a matter of time before some wires got shorted out due to the harness rewiring.(?)

Also, I've had a problem with each of the window switches not working and it was always corroded switch contacts. Although, that would be pretty coincidental to have all of them to stop working at the same time, but I suppose it's possible.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
Remove the drivers door handle and play with the wires behind the window switch....had this problem but it was progressive and not an instant issue.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
The switch contacts are probably dirty/burnt. If all else fails, remove the switch, take it apart, (carefully), and clean and reassemble.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
rayall01;1365430 said:
The switch contacts are probably dirty/burnt. If all else fails, remove the switch, take it apart, (carefully), and clean and reassemble.

Or just toss the whole switch in an ultrasonic cleaner....I did and it worked great....although the solution got a tad too hot and bleached the buttons a bit so they lost the deep black color.

I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned them damn contacts....never helped! I ended up cutting a harness out of a parts car and soldering it into my car....finally have working windows.

rayall01

Oct 10, 2008
Westfield, ma
gaboonviper85;1365711 said:
Or just toss the whole switch in an ultrasonic cleaner....I did and it worked great....although the solution got a tad too hot and bleached the buttons a bit so they lost the deep black color.

I cleaned and cleaned and cleaned them damn contacts....never helped! I ended up cutting a harness out of a parts car and soldering it into my car....finally have working windows.

Then maybe the contacts weren't the problem in your case. I've done it on mine, to good effect.

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
Hey i was just wondering if the problem was ever fixed? because right now Only my passenger side window doesnt work .. driver side works.. but when button on either driver side or passenger side are pressed.. nothing happens.. no noises or anything.. and my windows were working fine.. i had it sitting for about 2 weeks with the windows down thogh.. so now my passenger window is stuck down.. let me know if you fixed the problem falken. (sorry if i seemed to rob this thread.. i just didnt see a point in starting another thread for a similar problem. )

EDIT. sorry for bumping this thread.. shoulda done a more thorough search.. anyway.. i think i found the solution to my prob here.. http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98694&highlight=power+window
if nothing works ill come back

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
my passenger window only works on the passenger side but if i try to roll it up on my side it wont work and if i roll it down it does work...? my supras not in a running state in it just sits so that mite be a problem.....

wade3570

Jan 7, 2007
tallahassee, florida
dont know if this helps anyone but i just happened to have mine taken apart cleaning the contacts. i have another one for the drivers side, so i'd thought i'd clean this one.

Attachments

• P8083324.jpg
    P8083324.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 20

grnmk3

May 31, 2007
San Diego
I've been having trouble with the 7.5 fuse blowing for the past couple of days. As I was looking for any burned out wires underneath the car I decided to change my oil. After that I was lowering my car back down and then it came to me, since I removed my fender liner I thought maybe the tires rubbed on the wires. I looked and.."tada"..there were 3 wires showing bare metal. I had to fix both sides. I tucked them in more so they won't rub anymore. I hope this will help out as it did for me.

soldier235

Nov 14, 2009
Ellensburg, WA
Ok, so after a load of searching and testing my windows still fail to work in my MKII. I've cleaned the switches and jumped them both and the window motors both operate (minus the sunroof), I replaced the fuse just for kicks and giggles (even though the dash still works), pulled out the circuit breaker and checked it (still good) and tested to make sure power was going to it and it is, and I just checked to see if there were any broken wires near the fender and haven't found squat. I tested for power going into the master switch and there isn't any from the stock harness; is there another relay or fuse I'm missing or should I just hardwire the turd into the battery with my own CB? :1zhelp:

dusthead

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR
Aug 10, 2009
New London, CT
maybe trace the wire back....you tested the wire at the switch, use the TSRM to figure out what color wire is for power and trace it back looking for where the fail is.....?