Power steering

twoaudio

More Power
Jun 10, 2006
VA
Got my engine back together and the power steering is not acting right at first it is hard to turn the wheel, then it gets easy to turn if you stop turn for a second it's hard again. when you drive it and go into a curve it wants to oversteer really easy. It's like the wheel wants to turn back and forth real quick like you are jerking the wheel.

Hope I am explaining good enough :1zhelp:

Give me some help guys

BJ91T

Aug 28, 2006
Baton Rouge LA
mine used to be hard to turn when first started then it would pop and become easy to turn...I was just about to dig into the powerstering then the motor blew up so it was all good......dont worry it was n/a and now that block is in a turbo car :)

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
mustangman05 said:
mine used to be hard to turn when first started then it would pop and become easy to turn...I was just about to dig into the powerstering then the motor blew up so it was all good......dont worry it was n/a and now that block is in a turbo car :)

Thanks for the helpless answer/post. Although I am sssooooo sorry to hear your sad story !:nono:

The problem with twoaudio's steering sounds like the rack is going bad. The worn bushings and teflon seals can cause just what you describe.

A reman rack is about $200, and not a really difficult job to do at home.

I did my '89 N/A by driving the car up onto the ramps. The whole job took about 2hrs. :biglaugh:

Edit:
P.S. sarcastic answers always flow out of my 'root-canalled', Vicodin filled head this late at night.

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
twoaudio said:
Got my engine back together and the power steering is not acting right at first it is hard to turn the wheel, then it gets easy to turn if you stop turn for a second it's hard again. when you drive it and go into a curve it wants to oversteer really easy. It's like the wheel wants to turn back and forth real quick like you are jerking the wheel.

Hope I am explaining good enough :1zhelp:

Give me some help guys

cover the basics first. Bleed the system.

suprashy

Jun 21, 2005
Nassau County, NY
Also, make sure your PS reservoir filter is clean. if not, remove it, and clean it out. I would try that and bleeding the system before doing anything else.