Power Steering Whine

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
After replacing my turbo coolant lines, I noticed my power steering whines a lot more, and louder. At first I thought it was because coolant spilled all over the place in that general area and to just drive it all off.

Before I did anything, on cold starts the PS would whine a bit and then upon warming up it went away. Now it doesn't go away, and the actual steering is now being affected (it wasn't before), harder to turn. I would be idling and turn the wheel left or right and (whurrr whurrr whurr), annoying as hell. I noticed that whenever I did a full U-turn, the whine went away and my power steering was back to normal, responsive and little effort to turn the wheel.

I've checked my fluids, they're full. Is there anyway all of the coolant that gushed out from the turbo coolant lines could've gotten into the PS lines?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Also, you need to check it for air... turn it all the way one way, hold it there for a few seconds, then all the way the other way, hold it, repeat several times.

Have someone keep an eye on the level in the reservoir during the process, and add fluid if it starts to drop.

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
One of my co-workers suggested to add a few drops of oil on the pulley to see if it's the belt. From a cold start, the whine was a lot quieter, and upon turning it all the way to the right and left, the whine stopped and steering returned to normal.

I honestly cannot add anymore PS fluid, it's just about topped off. I haven't added any since I bought the car in December.

Tire Shredder

Sep 15, 2005
Oshawa
your powersteering reservoir could be clogged, starving the pump of fluid.

to clean and flush it:

remove the powersteering reservoir (just 4 bolts) and unattach the two lines. drain all the fluid and plug the bottom of the reservoir (can be done with a finger). Put some degreaser (simple green, castrol super clean etc.) in it and let it sit for awhile, shake and rinse. It may be helpful to scrape the screen at the bottom with a screwdriver aswell (this is what tends to get clogged). Rinse and repeat until it's spotless. Install it with the high pressure line and fill the pump up with some good fluid (I know mk2s use ATF...not sure about mk3s, check your TSRM). Anyways, I used mobil 1 ATF and only filled it to the edge of the return fitting (the fitting on the side). Then put the disconnected return line (the rubber hose) into a bottle. With the car up on jackstands and the engine running, turn the wheel fully one way and then the other. Keep checking the fluid level while doing this. You'll see all kinds of black old crappy fluid come out into the bottle. When it starts looking clean, turn the engine off and replace the the return line. Fill it up and turn the wheel lock to lock several times (I think TSRM says at 3000rpm but idle worked fine for me). keep turning the wheel and checking the fluid level until the squealing of the pump stops - this is called bleeding the system. Install the cap and you are done!

Since doing this my periodic squealing has stopped and steering feel has improved greatly. You've now got a clean reservoir and flushed powersteering system! Will feel great to get all of that crap out of there, powersteering systems are so neglected.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I think everything is covered. The noise is from too much clearance internally or lack of fluid, such as an obstruction as noted. Bad fluid will also cause gear whine.

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
I replaced the fluid and bled the system, and now the whine doesn't stop.

A thought crossed my mind, I used power steering fluid and not ATF, have I gone wrong? The only ATF Dexron I could find was Dexron III I believe. Will that do?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Kind of an embarrassing moment, I once, accidentally used brake fluid to fill the reservoir after reinstalling the engine, I was tired as hell and just trying to get the engine running, still not sure how I pulled it off. Anyways, the pump did continuously whine until I figured out what I did, and replaced the fluid. So I suppose its possible.

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
What I'm thinking is: It had ATF Dexron II in there before, and now that I replaced it with something else, it's not liking it.

But if not, time to replace stuff!

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
SkyHawk Ecks said:
I replaced the fluid and bled the system, and now the whine doesn't stop.

A thought crossed my mind, I used power steering fluid and not ATF, have I gone wrong? The only ATF Dexron I could find was Dexron III I believe. Will that do?

That's your problem. You used 'power steering fluid.'

The previous owner was using that stuff in my car too and thought it was a pump problem. PS system was whining everytime I turned the wheel.

When I got the car, I pissed all that PS fluid out of the system and put ATF III in there. Problem solved...

SkyHawk Ecks

Banned
Mar 30, 2005
Stockton, CA
Well, I drained and bled the system again. Refilled it with ATF Dexron III. The noise continues.

I purchased a new pump and got a new belt as well. Aside from that, what ELSE can cause the noise?