Possible Mount(s) Problems?

Eple

Narf
Jan 30, 2007
Canada
Hey guys, got a few quick questions to run by you, but first i'll give you the car's history.

Car is 99% stock, only mod to it is a Fluidyne radiator. Adult owned it's entire life, never driven hard; stored for 2 years. It's a 1989 Turbo 5 Speed.

Now the questions:

1) I can hear a distinct clunking/thuding sound coming from me rear. My first assumption is that my diff mounts are pretty much shot. However, i've noticed an odd occurence with this as well. In 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear, under sustained boost (so half throttle) the car almost "hiccups." As in i can her it go "thud" *silence for a little while then "thud" again..My clutch is good, then engine's RPM's don't move either. Sooo, what i'm getting at is could this instead be a problem with my driveshaft? Something to do with the joint that brings both pieces together?

2) Under hard acceleration, i've noticed that i can smell burning for about 1 second after i left off of the throttle. Assuming this could either be carbon build up?? I'm really not certain, but i plan to do a a general tune up regardless + seafoam.

3) My car runs REALLY rich, as in letting it idle for an hour puts a reasonable dent in my gas tank and there's LOTS of white smoke coming out the tail (no it's not a BHG, i've verified it). Now, i know Supra's run rich stock, and furthermore, the stock ECU's capictors can let go, resulting in it running even richer? True right? Won't really cause any harm, except to my bank account?

4)My idle is a little all over the place right now, it can be anywhere between 1000-1400RPM usually. I'm assuming the main cause would be a vacuum leak causing this, or my throttle position sensor will need adjusting (not sure what it's technical name).

Thanks for the ideas guys, I tried not to be totally nooblar.

Cheers

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Eple;895040 said:
3) My car runs REALLY rich, as in letting it idle for an hour puts a reasonable dent in my gas tank and there's LOTS of white smoke coming out the tail (no it's not a BHG, i've verified it). Now, i know Supra's run rich stock, and furthermore, the stock ECU's capictors can let go, resulting in it running even richer? True right? Won't really cause any harm, except to my bank account?

Cheers

Why would you let it idle for an hour?
Black smoke is exess gas. White smoke is water or coolant from somewhere. Considering your in Canada is it just cold?

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Dead caps are in the 1/2JZ series ECUs, not the 7M.

Vacuum leaks can cause you to run rich. They also tend to mess with your idle.

Jack up the car, slide underneath, and shake the driveshaft where the center support bearing is. If it moves a lot, or rattles, it's dead and needs a new bearing there.

Seafoam... bleh, bad idea. Lots of marketing hype, no results that can be proven. There's a bunch of debunk info floating around here somewhere about it.

Find your vacuum leak(s), fix them, and check your center support bearing. If you haven't done a tune up in a long time, it's likely worthwhile to put in new plugs, maybe wires.

Eple

Narf
Jan 30, 2007
Canada
OfnaRcR4;895173 said:
Why would you let it idle for an hour?
Black smoke is exess gas. White smoke is water or coolant from somewhere. Considering your in Canada is it just cold?
It is cold, but i can smell gas in the smoke..Actually hold on, i've got a pciture of the smoke it spews out. Almost positive it isn't from the cold.

Here:
p895203_1.jpg

As for idling for an hour, I locked my keys in the car.......twice.

OfnaRcR4

Shea!
Oct 2, 2006
kettering ohio
Eple;895203 said:
It is cold, but i can smell gas in the smoke..Actually hold on, i've got a pciture of the smoke it spews out. Almost positive it isn't from the cold.

Here:
p895266_1.jpg

As for idling for an hour, I locked my keys in the car.......twice.

I don't know how long the car has been running there but that seems to look like an acceptable amount of smoke for a cold day startup.

Does the smoke stay the same while driving for an extended period of time? If it's still really smokey after a long drive, look into bhg a little more.

Eple

Narf
Jan 30, 2007
Canada
I should've mentioned in the other post that i've checked my coolant and oil, neither of which are contaminated (Oil is black, not milky, and no foam - coolant is green).

Thanks Grim, i'll go at it with brake cleaner to in a day or so to find any vacuum leaks.

Thanks.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm a big fan of the cheap boost leak testers that a bunch of the folks on here have built.

If your engine bay is still stock, chances are a bunch of your rubber IC piping couplers are cracked by now.

Eple

Narf
Jan 30, 2007
Canada
Is that the custom fitting thing made out of PVC and such? I believe it goes around the turbo intake/inlet?