Possible BHG

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
I was leaving a resteraunt and I didnt see a speed bump and it hit my exhaust very hard. After that it started runnig real rough and didnt want to rev. It aslo started to blow white smoke out the exhust. I checked my intercooler hoses and they all looked fine. Could the exhaust lifted the head just a little bit to dislodge the gasket and blow it. I just did the compression test and all the cylinders are 145-155 except 4and 5, they were 60 and 70. When i bought the car i did the test and they were all between 145-155. What other test could i do while its torn down before I pull the head?

*edit* I just did a wet test on 4 and 5. It only went up 10-15psi on each one so I may just have to pull the head.

Last edited:

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Did your cooling system pressurize when you were testing the two low cylinders?

I dont think hitting your exhaust would cause you to have a blown head gasket, I think the turbo's exhaust housing cracking would be more plausible...of course it could also just be a coincidence that yout HG decided to go.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
If you had the stock head bolts and never re torqued them it could have happened. I have heard a few people say they have worked lose before. That added push from the exhaust could have pushed it over the edge.

Seems pretty odd but stranger things have happened.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Im almost done taking it off now. I just finished the intake manifold and the upper bolts were only finger tight. Its weird because I would run 13psi and never hit fuel cut unless it was cold out. I guess those gaskets dont need much to stay sealed then.

89turbosupra

Jun 10, 2006
oxnard
Well the headgasket did blow. It blew between 4 and 5 for sure and I think in the water jacket too. Also 5 and 6 was getting ready to blow. I cant believe it took me only 5 hrs to pull the head. Is that a record:biglaugh:?