Pool of oil in Galley...pics

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
ok so i got a pretty bad oil leak in my spark plug galley, i've changed the valve cover gaskets, breaking 2 valve covers while doing so (replaced), and i still have a pool of oil in there. Any ideas on how i can fix this!?

Here are some pics.
p1030398_1.jpg

p1030398_2.jpg

If you have any input on what could cause this please help.

Thanks,
-emp.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
See that big allen headed plug? Sometimes oil will leak right past those threads. Pull them and reseal them with teflon tape.

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
^^^ what he said.
i changed the valve gaskets as well and it still leaked.
I ended up putting a bead of gasket maker on the gaskets and got those hex bolts, problem solved.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
yea the valve cover gaskets are still leaking so i might add a small amount of FIPG or gasket maker. I will add some thread sealant to the hex bolts next. Anyone know what size those hex bolts are and where i can find a hex key to fit?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Clean everything, check the covers for warping, and torque them with new gaskets to 25 inch/lbs after putting sealant on the head only where the manual specifies. Put the 3rd cover on *last*.

The 3rd cover provides the seal for the 14mm hex plugs. If yours is shot replace it. If you dump the third cover altogether use O rings (what I do) in the grooves under their heads. Use teflon tape or worse, RTV, at your own risk. It works but remains of it can end up in your oil galleys next time the plugs are removed. A light coating of pipe dope (something like Tite-Seal) will prevent that but O rings are superior.

I've never had oil down there doing things this way. Not a drop.

sonofsupra

Nov 23, 2006
Ohio
They sure do make them. I forget the exact size, I can find it tomorrow. Teflon tape should be enough on the threads, use plenty of it and like said before, don't overtighten. FIPG on the valve covers = 1 big mess later.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
The 3rd cover is basically new. I had it replaced when i did my MHG, not sure if anything was done to the hex bolts tho. I will check out Sears 2moro and hopefully they will have a big enough hex bolt. But thanks for the advice guys, will attempt to fix this 2moro after work, will keep u updated.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Grab a nut an inch or inch and a half long that'll fit in the hex bolt... then just use a regular socket. ;)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Autozone has the proper tool for those plugs... (comes in a 3 pack with two other sizes)

To correct JJ, you have to put the third cover on first, as it won't fit with the cam covers on.

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
4U2QUIK;1030439 said:
don't overtighten them. only as tight as you can get them with the small end of the hex wrench. With just your fingers.

believe it or not, IIRC, they take something like 17 ftlbs, i could've sworn i read this just tonight and was surprised. I know mine were a bitch to get off. ill double check tomorrow

empera;1030448 said:
do they even make hex wrenches/keys that big?

Yes, i got mine at the machine shop where my burned car currently is :icon_bigg