Please critique my website

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
I have no doubt you could make a living just based on your ability to do something like this in flash.

I am a programmer, but I do a little web design on the side. Most of my sites have been relatively simple, just HTML and javascript and, in some cases, ASP.net if it was a more advanced application.

If I had a site that required flash, I farmed that part of the design out. I haven't spent any time learning flash. I have a strong background in graphic design, so I typically make all of the static pieces for my sites.

I must admit, none of my sites are that fancy; I am more of a minimalist. But, my sites are easy to navigate, look at, and every element in them serves a purpose.

Your site does make me want to spend some time learning flash!

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
yeah...

one question on flash. i'm running a 384K DSL connection, and it didnt take long to load...but does anybody have troubles loading this stuff? i've noticed some flash sites get so creative that it takes 2 minutes to load the main screen. but those are grafix intensive sites that you only visit when you have to...for a wrapper contest or a video game preview or something.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Get a connection speed emulator.

There are some decent freeware versions (just google "connection speed simulation" or "connection speed emulation" to get some results).

I used to know a way to do w/o software, but I can't remember right now. Beware though, you'll want to check it out on multiple systems, the emulator isn't good enough for real quality control.

We have a few different connection options at work (including dial-up) for testing purposes. I can check it out on a couple systems for you when I go in on Tuesday.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
i was only curious. dont worry about it. but its another thing thats worth thinking about i guess. but thankfully his site is not grafix intensive

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Figit090 - Flash is actually not the problem. You can do sooo much in sooo little space. For instance, my site is 1.4KB for the site and 324KB for the flash. That includes all the images currently on it, graphics, etc.

If you were having trouble loading a page, it must be because of huge video files and such. Not much you can do about that. Video takes space! High quality images too. Well, I guess you can get a T3...LOL.

Figit090

Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
ah, that would explain the other flash sites i've seen. and yeah, your site is fine. it takes like 4 seconds to get conpletely finished no the first cache-ing.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
General rules about making websites (off the top of my head) that apply to your site.

• No music, sounds, etc. unless that's what your site is all about (i.e. musician's site, and even then music should not play automatically)
  • Flash is a no-no. What if I wanted to view your site in a text-only browser? Yes, I do this occasionally from Linux when all I have is a terminal. Accessibility should be high on the priority list. Flash is usually more annoying than it's worth, made worse by newbies who use it just because they think it's cool.
  • Page layouts should be consistent. After viewing one page of content the user should know what to expect on the next page and how to navigate it. When you change the layout on different pages you distract from the usability and the content for the sake of being fancy/clever/etc.

Also, I would recommend getting rid of the margins around your background if you're filling the whole screen with your background, shouldn't be too hard with CSS.

The inside of the Toyota logo looks overly compressed. Graphics should be of PNG type, saving JPEG for photo-type images where the compression won't be noticeable.

Overall not too bad though, runs quick which is important. The user shouldn't have to wait several seconds while you're loading a page or doing something fancy with Flash.

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
^^^ Good tips....

Also, if you haven't gotten into CSS heavily yet, you should. You can accomplish so many things.

You always want to design your site to be friendly to a wide array of browsers/technologies. Many people don't like/have flash. Javascript does not function properly on all browsers (or the user disables it). These are all things to keep in mind.

If you can't escape the necessity for flash, be sure to create parallel basic pages for those users who don't have it.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Thanks guys. I promise I'll follow your advice in the near future...how near??? I don't know. Geez, it took me so long to get THIS ONE up and running. LOL Mostly because I didn't have time to work on it.

You will ALL like the one coming up for sure. I'm working on a few VERY helpful gadgets. Plus, it should correct most, if not all, of the defects/errors/bugs this one has.

Thanks,
Miguel.

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Ok, since I've been very busy with life tasks and also working on GTEpowered.com, I haven't had much time to work on my own site. I updated the site with a sneakpeek of the NEW Site!!!

Go check it out and let me know what you think. I know that the links don't work on the site, but the one to send me comments does work, so let me know what you think!!!

http://www.supraholics.com

nerfkhat

Aug 24, 2005
centennial, Co
i do graphic design for a living, and there were a few things i noticed.

in your topic/section titles, why do the names start in lower case then go capital, it has to be consistent.

when you first load the page, the toyota logo is pixelized. you may want to create a vector of that so when it is zoomed in it doesnt pixelize.

usually user navigation doesnt usually move around. it does keep the users attention but it maybe just too much movement for them to follow around.

just somethings that i thought you might want to change or you wont cuz you like it. good luck

Supraholics

.928 RWHP & Climing!
Apr 1, 2006
PA
www.supraholics.com
Yup, others noted that as well. Those are some of the reasons I'm changing the site. About the titles, that was the point, to be consistent but different. Thanks for the hints.

I should have the NEW site up and running soon.

Should have SUPMODDER up and running shortly after that as well.