piston slap only when cold. - o.k. or not???

C

cnewingham

I seem to have piston piston slap when my motor is cold but as it warms up it goes away. I have read this is normal with forged pistons and not to worry but want to make sure and see who else experiences it.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My car does this, but I don't think it has forged pistons :icon_conf...My 7M was rebuilt by the previous owner, and I don't know what kind of internals were used...but it definitely sounds like piston slap when it's cold, kinda sounds like a diesel engine until it warms up, then it goes away completely. It has done this the entire time I have owned the car.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
mine do this aswell, running with ross pistons. they will do it even at operating temp slightly but if i take it for a run it tightens up and is all good. its the silicon content of the pistons. i forget weather its a high content or a low content but one of them expands more then the other at operating temprature. because they expand so much extra clearance is required so when cold they make a little noise. nothing to worry about really as long as it goes away.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
I heard this was common with the JE pistons... Do you have JE? I dont know if its good or bad really, but its the main reeason I went with Wiseco pistons... I havent heard anyone with Wiseco having slap issues...

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
je are the only ones that will slap causethe lack of a skirt they are lighter then ross and wise co ect but they just last as logn as the full skirt ones

boostadikt

Freeway Foreplay
May 11, 2006
c-ville, Utah
yeah JE's have a lot shorter skirt and usually slap, i have heard good things about ross, but weisco FTMFW... i am running weisco's and lately i have been getting a little noise the first 5 mins after start up but only below 1000 rpm, but it has never done it before about a week ago....... then again it was 2 degrees Farenheight this morning

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
If they never slapped at all, and you have Ross or JE pistons, then the machine shop probably set up the clearances too tight! Run a little nitrous or a lot of boost and that could be a major problem! It may sound like a diesel without a loud slapping, but you can still hear the difference from stock pistons.

We have found the JE pistons are a little quieter then Ross when you use the recommended bore size.

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
^^^
what he said
it all depends on your piston to wall clearance.

Bigger for big boost, and nitrous.
A little slap doesn't hurt, as the pistons do expand.
I got my ross pistons coated, and i plan on running .004 piston to wall clearance, so i might experience a little slap, but i plan on running big boost as well.

I know slap was more common in ross pistons, but it really just depends on your clearance.
Bigger for more boost and nitrous, smaller for n/a's

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
My bro went with diamond racing pistons (forged) not a damn problem, hes makin 650 all motor and still no problem (small block chevy), so i prolly will be buying some of those.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I have J.E. pistons,.. I don't have that problem yet,... forge pistons have more piston to wall clearence due expansion. I guess your problem could be normal