Picture I Drew in CAD of my 7MGTE

SevenMKIII

No more Supra no more fun
Jan 13, 2007
Central IL
I used to mess around in my Intro to CAD class designing wheels and making side profiles of civics ahhaha back in the day. It would take me like a week to get all the details and angles right. That motor looks awesome, a lot time was put into it I'm sure. I want to check out those other programs. Do you have to buy them or just download them somewhere?

-Chris

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
IJ: i see, i see. i'm guessing max is pretty much the same program, just with a different interface and tools

Seven: check out www.torrentspy.com (you'll need to download a client to download the torrents, i suggest Azureus), they have nearly everything you could ever want to download: programs, movies, etc.. search 3D Studio Max 8 (i think that's the most recent version) and it comes with the program, the crack, and there you go. hope that helps

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Chori: Does Max allow you to assemble your 3d parts and then assign them ranges of motion to determine if there is interference?

I forgot to add great job on the parts you and Pat have done I'm impressed!

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
IJ. said:
Chori: Does Max allow you to assemble your 3d parts and then assign them ranges of motion to determine if there is interference?

I forgot to add great job on the parts you and Pat have done I'm impressed!
well when you first create the objects, they can move freely through each other, but i'm sure you could easily setup a dynamic property to the surfaces of the objects so that they don't interfere with each other

but right off the bat, i'm 85% sure you can't do that

fiyota

I ♥ Boost
May 3, 2006
Kelowna, BC
3ds max is for mostly for modeling objects used in videos and video games (if i'm not mistaken)... and from what 1j said... inventor is a tool that machinists can use to design parts that are going to be made in real life.. with no intention of using these models in a video or video game etc... in inventor the models can be exported in such a way that a tool like a cnc machine would understand correct?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Foto: I save most of my files as DXF's which my CNC Software can use to write the G Code directly and produce the parts as 2.5d (2d with a Z height added)

I rarely program in 3d as the files are enormous and just not required for most of the stuff I do.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
sounds awesome, i'll post some more pics when i get home from work. i'll probably start on the wheels too

blackout_89t

King of the roll
Apr 25, 2005
Toronto
3DS max is used for rendering.

To make 3d objects in max is rediculous.

Make the models in a REAL cad program, such as inventor, catia, solidworks, Pro-eng, ect. ect.

Then import the models into 3DSmax to render the model into an animation. That is what I do anyways. There are no real "contraints" in 3dsmax, well there is, but there is no precision so it sucks that way to make detailed parts.

Inventor and 3dsmax are both owned by autodesk now so they import into eachother flawlessly. To import cad models from other programs can be done, but it requires converting them with a third party software first.

Or just use CATIA, do everything in one program, even rendering. :)

edit: there are no "interference" checks either in 3dsmax. You have to manually set it up using a shitload of contraints.

thechori

supra-deprived
Oct 3, 2006
houston
3dsmax is awesome for modelling, it's just not as easy to make the dimensions perfect. you can do it, it'll just take longer than programs that are meant for high precision

gilberjj

Friend of Fast
Apr 14, 2006
Tacoma, WA
having worked with autocad, i can totally respect all that work. i once tried doing some front facing intake manifolds, but i stopped after like a week of work. if you could, i would love if you could send me that file to gilberjj@plu.edu thanks a ton!

jorgen

927mgtepat

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Brighton, MI
Thanks Guys for all your comments. I really dont want to give out the actual cad file, though, because I dont want it to get used for profit or something. I am in the process of drawing a full 3D one in my next class in Inventor.I would love to match that up with a 3D drawing of the car.