Pick up Peter Blach's MKIV for only a grand!

Red Dragon

Keep That on the Down Low
Jan 5, 2006
Austin, TX
I know this is nothing new, but my goodness, has there ever been a car more often the subject of an ebay scam than the MKIV? I wonder how many people have actually been taken by supra scams? :nono:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1998...91QQihZ006QQcategoryZ6447QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I heard he was selling (and I guess has sold?) this car. I saw it at TX2K6 and it looked liked it just rolled off the back of the truck at the yota dealership....

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea i have dug into a few of those, The owner is always really rich and bored with the car and lives in the uk and can not use paypal for some reason and always emphasises that the car has a clean title so he needs to use some unknown "company" for the money transfer.

xscurry

Apr 1, 2005
Houston, Texas
Red Dragon said:
I heard he was selling (and I guess has sold?) this car. I saw it at TX2K6 and it looked liked it just rolled off the back of the truck at the yota dealership....

Yeah he sold the 98 QS. I talked to him and he said his new 98 black car is even cleaner than that one. :aigo:

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
Im not sure why you assume that particular ebay sale is a scam. I looked and all I see is the Starting Bid is a grand not the selling price. But I do agree the supra is the king of scams since most of the scammers know all the really sharp youngsters are easy prey. On the ebay auction I would imagine the reason there are no bids as of yet and the auction ends tomorrow is, I always wait until the last 30 seconds to bid on something with the maximum price I am willing to bid, no reason to show your cards and have the price shoot up prematurely. I think most smart ebay shoppers do the same. I also like the way he has idiots that bid on something they cant afford prevented from bidding. I had that happen to me once, some idiot out bid me on a trailer and didnt have the money, I won it in the next auction for less.

GotToyota?

Dedicated Member
Apr 6, 2005
Texas Motor Speedway
xscurry said:
Yeah he sold the 98 QS. I talked to him and he said his new 98 black car is even cleaner than that one. :aigo:
Yep, he's a very wealthy and lucky guy. His black car is clean, I've seen pictures of it on SF.

-Matt

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
should ask for a picture of him holding the top and the front page of the newspaper. That way we could tell it was not a fake. Hell... I'd bid if he did that.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
but "eBay provides up to $20,000 in fraud protection for this vehicle."

I see this going down as follows.

You must get on the "approved" bidder list. In order to do that you must agree to NOT use PayPal for the deposit. You must agree to Western Union the money. The listing was written in such a way as to try and NOT look like a scam.

Do we have anyone around the Atlanta area that could contact this guy to go out and look at the car? I bet we'll find that this car is in fact "overseas" as is the owner currently.

Notice the year is described as a 98 several times - except right in the middle of the auction where it is marked as a 94.

The VIN does read for a 98 - and matches up to a Turbo Supra
VIN: JT2DE82A9W1002171
Year: 1998
Make: Toyota
Model: Supra
Style/Body: Hatchback 2 Door
Engine: I-6 3.0L DOHC Tbo
Country of Assembly: Japan

This guy has done his homework.