Performance and Power: A Dyno Bet (with lunch!)

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Hmmm, ok. Well at least I have a good idea of what she will do. So the 4.30 differential makes it slower? I'm just curious as to the difference between the two on feel. I plan on putting a 57-60 trim turbo on (or maybe my old 70 trim), better clutch, and up the boost. That's about it for performance. So maybe I need to do further research as to which diff is better. I want mid-range power, with a nice top end. Low end is nice though, but this car is proving to have great off-boost driveability already.

Or I might just do a 2jz swap again.... XD Man, I keep thinking about it and it would be perfect! Considering I got this gte and chassis for so cheap. MAYBE $3,500 total including car, parts, and labor - as it sits.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
As I said it's a balancing act, the 4.3's may feel a bit better just driving around off boost and a little as it comes on but the taller gears will load the engine more and then the Turbo more than makes up for the gearing.

I ran 4.30, 4.10, 4.11s and now have a set of 3.5's in mine and ignoring the above effect off boost the car is MUCH quicker with the 3.5:1 diff.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ever notice how strong the car feels on hills?

I've towed some HEAVY stuff with mine (one tonne milling machine) and it just giggled at the load like a little girl :)

Load em up and Turbo's flex their muscles, this is why they rarely make full boost in the lower gears.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Dyno day has been postponed until I get the cash to do it. lol I had to pay back a friend for the Megan Racing exhaust I am using currently. It will be soon though!

Kevin

7mgte -> 7mgte swap done.
Apr 20, 2009
Windsor Ontario Canada
Nghty89;1530150 said:
Dyno day has been postponed until I get the cash to do it. lol I had to pay back a friend for the Megan Racing exhaust I am using currently. It will be soon though!

how much is the dyno session?

paradox616

Sep 12, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
hrmmm consider this,

lunch = max $10 per day x5 = $50
dyno = around $50,

so really, your not getting a free lunch. your getting a free dyno :p

IJ, you wouldn't know where i can get my hands on some 3.7 gears in victoria would you? ive got the 4.3 problem :p, struggle to make fullboost untill the lower gears.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
lol very true! I just have other things I am more worried about, such as rent and brake pads and putting on my Tein HA's and getting my alignment done, and buying a full interior. The dyno WILL be within the next 2 weeks though. That is a promise.

Plus... I keep looking at adds for MKIV supras..... :love: You can see where I am going with this... Considering I have built 2 2jz motors. :naughty:

By the way, I shimmed the wastegate with 3 washers.... and wow. First does not hook once boost hits, and if I shift hard into second she fishtails a little. :biglaugh: Man I love this car!

But I still want a MKIV... lol

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Glad I don't! But I am working from home all this week. Just remoting in via the computer. Man I love IT work! lol Just wish I got paid more... to bad this area is so shitty on pay and living expenses...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Always a good idea. Especially if our setups are similar.

Btw guys - I know this is taking some time, I'm just dealing with the daily stuff right now. Rent, bills, new alternator and brake pads. lol I'm thinking about foregoing the dyno another week in order to do my Thermostat Controlled Oil cooling system, and a new Radiator with electric fans

turbo87targa

Nov 10, 2006
colorado springs
I dynoed mine today, I'm tryin to upload the pic with my iPhone atm.....

But I got 246hp 262tq 10psi Most of the cob stage 2 STi's around here are making 245-255. Makes me feel pretty sure you got a week of lunch comin.