Performance and Power: A Dyno Bet (with lunch!)

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Before we begin, this is not another 'H0w much PoWeRz can I make 0n a l33t 7m??!!'.

I know around where I should be. And I know what I have done, and how to get to the power level I want. But first, specs:

Rebuilt 87 7mgte. Slightly higher compression ratio (roughly 8.8:1 or so, would have to recheck my math), VERY slightly larger bore, 8psi for now (dyno-ing 8 and 12 for perspective in power), stock everything except arp head studs and Greddy 1.5mm mhg, stock cluck (aftermarket pressure plate), rebuilt stock head, r154, nasty hard IC pipes, stock fmic, walbro 255, high flow intake, full 3" turbo back (megamouth DP has no restriction in front of the wastegate, spool is almost non-existent).

All of this is in an n/a chassis with the n/a rear-end. I will say that I know she is geared for acceleration and not top-end. BUT this makes her feel faster than she might be with a turbo rear-end. I am beating gutted, cammed b16 hatches with a known 215whp, so I am happy with it for now. Until I turn up the boost.

My guess is at least 230whp. My co-worker says I will be lucky to break 200whp. In fact, he will buy me lunch for a week if I break 220whp on the dyno.

Any takers? lol This is also a 'Hey, check out what my fresh build can do' thread. With Scans of the dyno sheets and video too. Coming soon!

IndyMK3

I Hate Godzilla Too!!!!
May 15, 2008
Indianapolis, Indiana
turn it up to 12 for one pull and get lunch for a week =) ..... i had just an FMIC and hardpipes over you and made 260 and that was with my timing off...

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
I know, I can't wait to see his face. He keeps telling me it doesn't make any sense for a 3.0L Turbo inline 6 to be making that much with so little modification. He bases his logic on the fact that he has read that stock, we make 220 or so to the crank. Then he calculates a drivetrain loss. He says MAYBE 205whp.

He's an intelligent guy, but I think his information is wrong and he insists I am crazy to think I am more than 220whp as it sits right now. Which I know I am. I ran a v6 probe who runs with and without nitrous. I pulled 10 car lengths on him with no nos. I have not run him yet with his bottle, but I think I will pull 4 car lengths even if he uses it. I say this because I stomped the car he runs even with when he uses nitrous. AND it's a probe. lol Btw, probe boy is not the guy who is betting me. He has a 300 or so whp mazdaspeed 3. I can't wait to run him once I'm closer to his power level.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
For what it's worth- about six years ago on a dead (shaft play and blowing smoke) CT26, BIC DDP, lightweight flywheel, 4.3 rear, 550's and Lex AFM, I put down 289rwhp, 295tq @ 15psi on a Mustang dyno. His jaw will drop.

GC89

1J-THIS
Jun 13, 2007
Spokane, WA
Any exhaust mods? Those and the intake and ic pipes are the biggest bang for your buck. Hes probably about right on his stock guess which most dont even make, 232 x 10% +- loss= 209ish. But when just a filter can net you 16hp and each psi with support = 11hp 220 shouldn't be hard to beat. You would be stupid not to put him all in on this bet

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
So I got a chance to talk to him. The bet is on for over 220whp at 7psi. Which I feel is perfectly doable with the way she runs.

He agrees though that 12psi or above will net 240 or more easily.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Nghty89;1525999 said:
So I got a chance to talk to him. The bet is on for over 220whp at 7psi. Which I feel is perfectly doable with the way she runs.

He agrees though that 12psi or above will net 240 or more easily.
hmmmm if it's an honest dyno you might be pushing it as the 4.3 diff isn't going to load it hard on the ramp up.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
IJ.;1526000 said:
hmmmm if it's an honest dyno you might be pushing it as the 4.3 diff isn't going to load it hard on the ramp up.

Hmm, interesting... How so? Just not sure I fully understand.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
The harder an engine pulls on the ramp in to full load the higher the end # the dyno spits out.

When I put the lightened 7M crank in my engine with that being the one and only change and on the same dyno with identical settings it made a good chunk more power on the top end as it responded quicker on the ramp.

When you run low Diff gears they don't load the engine nearly as much so the turbo doesn't make the same low down boost, on the street the lower gears often "feel" faster as the give a nice mechanical advantage to acceleration, it's balancing act what is going to be faster on the track though.

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Aaah, I see. Thank you for the information! I guess I'll have to stick with faster spooling turbos and stay away from doing 140mph lol

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
IJ.;1526119 said:
I'll be happy for you to prove me wrong and eat free for a week ;)

Oh I wasn't saying you were wrong, I just meant I'll have to make sure my mods work well with my rear-end. lol

But yes, I would love to win this bet!

Nghty89

Zombie Chicks Are Hot
Mar 26, 2008
7 Cities, VA
Lol the funny thing is, I do have access to a turbo differential. But I'm not that worried about it. Apparently the current setup is just making a great amount off the 7psi. My logic being that if I am taking an AT LEAST 3,000lbs car and beating a MAYBE 1,800lbs gutted hatch who is dynoing at 215-220whp... then I am definitely making more power than 220whp. IF my logic is right. :naughty:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
IJ.;1526000 said:

This!!!

I just took mine out last night after having swapped the 4.30's in for less than two days. The car feels way slower. I'm now rebilding my 3.91 and I'll be installing it later on today.

When my car was stock, it made 200rwhp. I installed a new filter (removing the giant box) BIC downpipe and a manual boost controller and it made 230rwp @ 8psi. I"m not positive about the 8psi, but I'm fairly certain. That's been about seven years ago.