Paypal experts......

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
OK so I am being scammed on a purchase I made from a member here.

I paid via paypal, taking the $$$ off my Mastercard. I think am about to escalate to a claim with Paypal. My question is, should I even mess with paypal or just go through my credit card company for a refund. I have heard some bad things about Paypal, but I would prefer to let them try and get my $$ and use the credit card company as a last resort.

Whattaya think??? Experiences please.

If this isn't fixed soon I will out the seller in the feedback forum.:evil2:

Aaron J Williams

Make It So!!!
Jul 23, 2006
Luck, Wisconsin
The first thing paypal is going to ask you is if you got anything from the seller. Even if you got an empty box, they consider that as getting something. If you got nothing then they will try to resolve the issue and you will probably get your money back. If not, then your credit card company will get your money back.

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Proof huh?

I have tons of PM's from here and no damn package at my doorstep, that's what I have!!!!!!

My suspicion with paypal is that one of the first responses I got from this guy, after I paid him, was that he would have to wait until the $$$ went to his bank account before he could afford to ship it. That tells me he is a broke ass mofo if he didn't have $15 laying around to ship my purchase. I am guessing that paypal will get jack shite from him..........

Suprawannabe

meh... im lazy
Oct 27, 2005
Denver, CO
I had a problem like this once, I paid for a header and never received it.

So I filed a claim through paypal(I used a bank card) and it took about three months to get a little over half my money back. Paypal paid it out of there pocket since the guy who ripped me off had no money and canceled his card.

I got lucky though since there was two other people he did this too right after me proving I was telling the truth.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
Even if he got the cash into his bank paypal can suck it back out. Unless he keeps his account at 0. How long has it been. Paypal may have a limit on when you can file a claim, When you file a claim paypal is supposed to take the money from him and hold it. Then work to resolve the problem, When its resolved they will give the money to the agreed person. If you get the item they will pay him if not they will pay you. I would file the paypal claim ASAP. See if they can get the cash away from him. Use the credit card company as a last resort. If it has been a while then I would also post a message on the feedback section. Tell the story, it may also force him to get you your stuff. Keep us informed.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Go though PayPal. In my experience they are very good about this kind of stuff, though I think they favor the buyer a little too heavily (which is good in your case).

Quick story on one of my personal experiences:
I bought an XBox on eBay and one of the games was scratched and didn't work so I asked the seller to refund me the value of the game ($20). He refused, even though his auction implied the games were in near perfect shape. I then filed a claim with PayPal for "item not as described". I copied them my complete e-mail interactions with the seller. They then proceeded to investigate the matter. The seller never responded to PayPal so they went ahead and tried to refund me my money. However, the seller had taken all the money out of his PayPal account. So PayPal shut down his account. He couldn't buy or sell on eBay with a PayPal account at all after that. :) I don't think I ever got a full $20 back out of him, but the personal inconvenience I caused him was worth it to me. Once PayPal had shut down his account he suddenly became much more willing to refund me money.

yankiwi

Aug 27, 2005
DFW
Thanks guys,

It has been a month, so I am well inside the claim window. I would give him more time to sort it out but I have had no contact for over 2 weeks. His intentions seem pretty clear now. And I know he has got my messages so....... I have already had a dispute open with paypal for a few days. I will give him another day or so then elevate it to a claim.

Supramania OT wins!!!!!!!

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Some asshat hacked my PP account, and they were really helpful. I stopped all but one of 11 fraudulent charges myself by closing an account, but they credited my checking account as soon as I provided them the documentation they asked for. It doesn't hurt to try and work with them, especially if you have a little documentation to back your claim.