Passenger door lock woes

mp51998

Apr 10, 2005
Corpus Christi Texas
I searched but none of the previous issues apply.On my 91 I cant get the passenger door to unlock so I can open it. It has the engine removed so the harness is out but if I hook up a battery I can put the drivers side window down but not the pass. side. The electric lock/unlock wont work and if I try to move the lock lever manually it wont go all the way to the unlock position. I have also tried to unlock from outside and have the same issue with the key as the lock lever. I have the top off so I can manuver a wire hanger down the inside or outside of the window but cant seem to latch onto whatever I need to to unlock and open the door. I have checked the TSRM but am unsure of what I should even be grabbing a hold of. Since the door wont open I cant take off the panel to see what is going on inside. I've been working on this all day with no success. Currently have sprayed some PB Blaster in the key hole hoping to free it up. Would anyone have any further suggestions on how to open this baby. Thanks in advance.

Mike

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
That's a sticky problem. You clearly have an issue with the mechanism because it's not legal for a vehicle to be marketed in the US with electric locks and no way to mechanically operate them. I know it's not much help but you should be able to unlock the door simply by moving the lever. No power is required. Maybe open up the other side to get a better look at what you're dealing with?

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
Yea u wil need to get into that door to fix that prob. U will just have to keep working that door lock lever until u get it open.

mp51998

Apr 10, 2005
Corpus Christi Texas
Thanks for your input guys. I did exactly what JJ suggested and was able to see which directions the linkages moved. After a few minutes of fumbling around with a wire hanger I was able to get the door open. I'll open it up later to see what the problem was but wanted to says thanks for the help.

Mike

mp51998

Apr 10, 2005
Corpus Christi Texas
After getting the door open and inside panel off I couldnt see anything apparently wrong. At least nothing that jumped out at me. I believe it may have gotten gunked up from sitting outside for so long. I applied a liberal amount of whilte lithum grease to the linkage and will test it again when I am able to finally get home. Been working in the oil field for nine days now and have at least another 10-15 more to go. :cry: That should give it time to see if it will stick again. Fortuantely I still have the inside panel off.