Paint

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
mk34lyf;1003203 said:
Ah alright, thanks guys. I never really knew anything about powder coating. What paint would be best (i.e. - gloss, matte, flake, etc.)?

What ever color you want.. as long as it's gloss black :biglaugh:

kotu100;1003623 said:
you've never painted a car before have you?

im painting my whole car single stage for less than $300. for a 2 stage (color/clear) would cost me about $600 including all materials primer paint and clear. this is using Sherwin Williams auto paint. good quality stuff.

however unless you know what you're doing i suggest taking everyones advice and find a reputable shop in the area.

My uncle painted my car while I was on vacation. $350-400 for 2 stage..
But apparently he didn't really sand it down so it is chipping off and the original paint is still shinny :3d_frown: and it is rusting all over the place.

Just take your time and do it right if you can't then have a shop do it. Or else you will have to do it again, in less than a year, like me.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
delorans are stainless steel, well the body panels at least.

you can paint a car rolling on rustoleum paint and make it look good. its all the time and effort that makes a paint job what it is.

2_TonedMKIII

Rarety
Jul 28, 2006
Orlando, Fl
I'd like to see someone do a velvet finish (ie a little more luster than satin colors) on the supra. Alot of the old hot rods used to do velvet finishes and I think it'd look good on a mkiii.

TurboToy-R

Apr 30, 2007
Duncan BC
I was talking to the local powder coater, they CAN powder coat plastic pieces, as well as over BONDO, for simple filler for large gouges in metal on cheap jobs they use JB WELD to fill in the bumps and then powder coat right on them. The only thing you need to do is find materials that hold up to the heat and wont warp/sag and pretty much anything can be coated from what I was told by the guys at the shop.