Paint

mk34lyf

Mar 26, 2008
florida
This isn't specifically a Supra question, but you all know what powder coating is right? Well, I know you can do it to wheels and stuff, but can you paint a whole car like that?

You can also sandblast the paint off of a full car, right?

tbcmorris

SM Expert Thread Derailer
Mar 14, 2007
PRUVEN PERFORMANCE MILFORD CT
mk34lyf;1003179 said:
This isn't specifically a Supra question, but you all know what powder coating is right? Well, I know you can do it to wheels and stuff, but can you paint a whole car like that?

sand blast yes, powdercoat i dont think so. in theory ya but i bet it would cost an arm and a leg.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
You could if you wanted.. but it would weigh a shit ton. And you would have to 100% gut the car since they bake it at like 400*

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you would have to make a metal rear bumper, and a metal front bumper + nose piece...

but you can get really nice paint jobs from powder coat, but its best suited to the engine bay, and body parts (like subframes and stuff)

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Rennat;1003194 said:
you would have to make a metal rear bumper, and a metal front bumper + nose piece...

but you can get really nice paint jobs from powder coat, but its best suited to the engine bay, and body parts (like subframes and stuff)

Oh yeah.. I totally forgot about that haha. All those parts would just melt.

mk34lyf

Mar 26, 2008
florida
Ah alright, thanks guys. I never really knew anything about powder coating. What paint would be best (i.e. - gloss, matte, flake, etc.)?

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
What ever look you want go for. Supra's do look good in any type though if it comes out clean. I do want to see some one pull off a flat color though.

mk34lyf

Mar 26, 2008
florida
BorHor;1003222 said:
What ever look you want go for. Supra's do look good in any type though if it comes out clean. I do want to see some one pull off a flat color though.

What do you think of Flat (matte) White?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
The bumpers probably wouldn't melt but the powder coat would not stick to them since it would not get charged in the process. I know a guy who poweder coated a jeep that was made into a full offroad machine. Looked pretty good but you can't have any bondo or anything has to be bare metal to bond to so if you don't have perfect body work there is no way to hide dings. Overall not a good idea! Go to a high end custom shop and get a badass paint job!

HTH,
Seth

mk34lyf

Mar 26, 2008
florida
sethron71;1003238 said:
The bumpers probably wouldn't melt but the powder coat would not stick to them since it would not get charged in the process. I know a guy who poweder coated a jeep that was made into a full offroad machine. Looked pretty good but you can't have any bondo or anything has to be bare metal to bond to so if you don't have perfect body work there is no way to hide dings. Overall not a good idea! Go to a high end custom shop and get a badass paint job!

HTH,
Seth

Lol, thanks man. Good to know someone has seen it done.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
flat colors look like you cant afford a real paint job, even tho a proffesional flat paint job would cost the same. i think only real clean unique or really new cars can pull off flat paint jobs IMO.

if ur looking to paint ur car urself, prepare to spend 500+ on supplies to get a quality job. thenn close to a grand for primer, paint clear. so take it to a shop unless you have a knowledgable friend on the matter.

all this im talkign about of course is for an excellent A+ paint job, assume u can spray lol

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
you think the bumpers can withstand being baked at 400 degrees for like 4 hours? hahaha... that shit would start to melt at like 200... if not less!

but yeah... powder coat is meant for engine parts. but thats just me.

jonny87turbo

Dec 9, 2006
ohio
mk34lyf;1003179 said:

Do NOT sandblast a car. It will warp the body panels. Only get a car bead blasted.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
jonny87turbo;1003568 said:
Do NOT sandblast a car. It will warp the body panels. Only get a car bead blasted.

It will also rott your car out if any sand gets trapped in the panels or frame because the sand will retain moisture.

As for powder coating... Doesn't it bake at 400* for only 20 min. after the powder has that melted look?

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
blackturbona;1003241 said:
flat colors look like you cant afford a real paint job, even tho a proffesional flat paint job would cost the same. i think only real clean unique or really new cars can pull off flat paint jobs IMO.

if ur looking to paint ur car urself, prepare to spend 500+ on supplies to get a quality job. thenn close to a grand for primer, paint clear. so take it to a shop unless you have a knowledgable friend on the matter.

all this im talkign about of course is for an excellent A+ paint job, assume u can spray lol

you've never painted a car before have you?

im painting my whole car single stage for less than $300. for a 2 stage (color/clear) would cost me about $600 including all materials primer paint and clear. this is using Sherwin Williams auto paint. good quality stuff.

however unless you know what you're doing i suggest taking everyones advice and find a reputable shop in the area.

blackturbona

May 10, 2007
kirkland
kotu100;1003623 said:
you've never painted a car before have you?
QUOTE]

Ha thats funny. yea single stage works great, but like i said i was talkign about an A+ paint job. id give single stage a B+ tho. u just cant beat a real quality clear