overnight no starting ability

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i was driving just fine yesterday no probs but now i went to get in the car and the car just wont even turn over on me. i turn the key and i hear the click,...and thats it. one click if i hold the key on start i can hear a slight slow crank just a light sqwwwwwwwwwwwwsh. im testing a battery on it and trying to pull a code from it any ideas or is it just my starter that is shot. it was a nice hot day yesterday and car never overheated and its an auto. any ideas??

i need toget to school

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
Sounds like a weak battery or poor ground. If the battery tests ok then clean the terminals and connectors. You're alternator could also be dead, causing your batt to discharge but don't worry about that until you check the batt/connections.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea i took my moms corolla and left the jumpers on my car for like 15 min and let my battery get enough power to crank, while i was waiting i noticed my brake pedal went rock hard, im an auto so when i hit the shift lock override to run it through the gears and put it back on Park, i was able to crank and the motor was turning and i know there was fuel cus i could smell it in the tailpipe but no spark, at all. not even a chuckle from the engtine just free cranking. im on my way to get battery tested and am currently 1 hour late for school, is there a fuse i might have blown that would keep coilpack from powering my spark plugs?? any info is appreciated im trying to get this fixed within the next couple hours so im kind of rushed.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
check the 7.5A IGN fuse in the kick panel. it sounds like you've got a toasted battery, but as previously stated, check the grounds FIRST. it you check them, and rule out a grounding problem, get the car started, (jump it or something) and check the voltage output of the alternator.

it should be around 13.7-14V. if it's not, then your alternator is fried. dont buy a new one yet! pull the alternator apart and see if it's just worn brushes! they're like $10 at autozone, much cheaper than a new alternator. they're easy to put in, too.

-shaeff

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
already did the fuse, recaharged battery at schucks, cleaned everything to show finish, have looked for every ground i possibly can, am taking alternator off and taking to schucks to be tested, if that comes out ok im taking off the engine cover and cranking with screwdriver in each spark plug wire to see if im getting juice. any better ideas of checking spark in each wire instead of me just electricuting myself? (i have no multimeter)

now i may have missed a few but i have looked hard and deep, i traced the grounds on the negative terminal of battery cable. i followed the wires on alt. and the plugs coming from coilpack, fuses, all of them have been checked.
the battery was almost dead and low, wouldnt the car even have some spark from battery to spark plug wires or would a dead alternator totally cut off the power to them?
i geuss the real question is what could give out overnight like that, perfect running order to no spark overnight.

srry if i look like a pathetic post whore but i want my supra back, it hurts driving the mom mobile.

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
the mom mobile.... :rofl:

A timing light would probably work for checking spark without getting zapped. But what's the fun in that? If your battery can crank the motor then it should start and run for a while off of it. If it cranks and you have no spark (but have fuel) then it's most likely ignition. Could be a loose pin coming out the back of a plug (harness plug) or a rotted wire or broken coil pack ground. :dunno: If your battery was good the day before and died overnight then you probably have some kind of short, or a light was on all night (doors/hatch not closed all the way).

suprana1990

Apr 4, 2005
NYC
not sure if this could help u but did ur stock alarm happen to set off during yesterday night?
if so, prob. the alarm is not allowing ur ecu to send the signal to start the car.

lock the doors, go to passenger side door and use the key to unlock the lock there and then head back over to the driver side and unlock the lock and jump into the driver seat and start it up.

i had the same prob. back then and remembered my alarm disable my whole car and i was chasing things left and right.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
its not alarm related, its not the battery, its not the alternator all checked and fine, fuses all perfect belts gripping plugs are plugged in. how many grounds should i be looking for? i have no light but will work on getting one. this is realy confusing and annoying. im searching all the wires all over any more ideas feel free to post them even if its obviouse i may have missed it. when i find what it was i will let you guys know

also does cps have anything to do w/ it, if it gets dirty ish would/could that cause this?