Opinion on High speed internet

Toyota h8r

Formerly KILLERMK3
Jan 24, 2006
Sylvania ohio
www.cardomain.com
I'm looking into getting high speed internet finally:icon_razz . My 56k has slowed to down to 26k:3d_frown: and im tired of lagging behind. So what im looking for is "Your" experience with high speed internet. What company are you running and how do you like it?? Im leaning toward dsl w/verizon, looks like a good deal, and its available in my area also. Lastly, what speed would be sufficient for online gaming?(ex..xbox, pc, ps3) Thanks, Shelby

Fuzz420

Are U Here 2 take My Baby
Cable is somewhat of a shame in my opinion. Its great and all but you dont get any where near the advertised speed.Cable is neighborhood line and speed fluctuates.I got insight with their 10meg package:ugh2:. But either route is better than 56k. Lately Ive been thinkin about switching over to dsl and get there 8 meg package. Our friend at bellsouth told us the junction box for our area is less than 50 yards away.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
Toyota h8r said:
What speed do you have and the price? Also, SC what service do you have? Last, what is "/thread" supposed to be? and yes im not internet cool.....:icon_razz

Here's the speed:

sm_photo_missing.jpg

I use Comcast and it's about $40 a month split two ways. Only problem is here, Comcast is the only high-speed internet provider... so their service and support is pretty unreliable and goes down at least once every 2 days and at the most inconvenient time.

ChadMKIII

Yup, Thats The G/F
Jul 14, 2006
Bay Area, Ca
Supracentral: DSL? Was that sarcasm or is there really a good DSL provider?

And whats with the no Comcast thing? I've only heard terrific things from people who switched from DSL to Comcast, and I'm talking a LOT of people.

I have Earthlink DSL, it goes down regularly. I hate it.

SupraDerk

The Backseat Flyer
Sep 17, 2005
Tallahassee
ChadMKIII said:
And whats with the no Comcast thing? I've only heard terrific things from people who switched from DSL to Comcast, and I'm talking a LOT of people.

You'd hear something much different here my friend. I fucking hate comcast, and I don't mean "haha man I hate comcast"... I mean "Wow, if comcast was a living breathing thing...I'd fucking kill it!"

They screw me time and again... here's a few recent examples...

1) Durng finals week... NO INTERNET! Huzzah! I didn't need to download notes or be able to look things up anyways

2) Submitting programs that I had to write (had to do it over SSH)... 3 out of the 5 I had to submit I couldn't submit my final version on time because of fucking comcast going down

3) Today, was trying to play some counterstrike and seriously over the span of like 10 minutes... I must have lost and regained my connection around 20 times...

I...HATE...COMCAST

but they're my only option...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
I've had bad experiences with Comcast, both in speed/reliability and in them trying to screw me over. My parents use ClearWire which is one of the slowest broadband services I've ever used. Very unpredictable too.

I'd highly recommend Verizon, particularly their fiber-to-the-curb package thing, or whatever it's called, if available. If I recall correctly, Verizon was rated as the best communications company or something like that.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
fiberoptics- great from what i have heard,
cable- great unless you are in an area with alot of cable users
dsl- heard good and bad
wireless- dont waste your time unless its that or dialup

exander

Anything but Lurker
May 23, 2006
colorado
I have DSL and I have garanteed 99% uptime, and it hasn't gone out a single time in several months now. We have the highest plan availabe, which I believe is 1500mb/s. I agree with SC go with DSL. We have it split through wireless between several computers and it still performs excellent. Our carrier is Quest BTW.

On a side note " [/thread] " Means end thread. It is commonly known through pragramming languages and has become a frequent thing of "internet dialogue"

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
exander said:
On a side note " [/thread] " Means end thread. It is commonly known through pragramming languages and has become a frequent thing of "internet dialogue"

That's more from forum mark-up tags, such as the original UBB tags. That is similar to hypertext mark-up language (HTML) and XML which uses angle brackets (<tag>something</tag>). Mark-up languages aren't really programming languages, because you aren't programming anything, you're just describing data/display methods.

JMDigital

Authorized Vendor
Jun 2, 2006
Tampa, Florida
www.cardomain.com
I have RoadRunner (bright house) - Its the choice for cable in my area. Here are my speed test results.

71585593.png

Verizon has a new FiberOptic service, its supposed to be FAST, The DSL in my area is crap...

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Comcast blew up my neighbors house. They were running cable lines in our trailer park... they hit some gas line - and up went the house - in a boom sort of way too - not just o it burnt down - it was an oh man that house - just blew up.

But as far as getting internet from them - its awesome. Its 3 meg service, and reliability all depends on where your at - which Shelby I know where your at - and it should be pretty good in that area.

Verizon is sweet because you can get really good internet - wirelessly. Its pretty fast (when waiting in line for the 360 I gamed on my laptop using verizon wireless right inside of walmart without a problem - and that was in the sticks of TN).

DSL is semi-fast, I used to get it from SBC & Ameritech - but reliability was an issue.

Hows the firebird doing Shelby?
Why all the hate towards Toyota - and yes I know about your Chevrolet parking only sign on the front of your garage. Its a good thing I got that Blazer... lol I like Chevy - but to me Toyota is where its at.