On the road to a private pilots license.

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
yankiwi said:
Nice!!!!

Have fun Dirgle, flying is a blast:biglaugh:

I soloed in a cherokee, great little plane. Also instructed in them, among others, for a few years.

Are you just doing this for fun, or are you contemplating a career?

10 years making a living as a pilot for me and I love every minute of it. Let us know your progress, and if you need help just ask. I am still a CFI, just don't use it much anymore but I would be glad to help.

Craig.

I work part time for an air ambulance company out of Meacham Field in Fort Worth. In fact Craig here used to be one of the pilots I flew with. Small world. Anyway, I don't know how anyone can afford to own and operate their own plane. I would love to learn (officially) how fly but damn it's expensive. I'll just settle for taking the controls of the 414 every now and then for now. When I win the lottery I'll buy one of these, probably a 400 model with the twin turbo 8 cylinder though. I've always thought Comanches were bad ass. Retractable gear, one piece windshield, very slick.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
Bessemer, Alabama, United States
Clueless said:
how would a helicopter overall differ from airplanes?
omg.

If something on your helicopter isnt broken, it's about to. If anything, on a helicopter, the wing moves faster than the fuselage, and thus it is dangerous :).
It is easier to ask "how would a helicopter be similar to an airplane." the answer? they both go up.

Clueless

Banned
Feb 22, 2006
Columbus, Indiana
flight doc89 said:
omg.

If something on your helicopter isnt broken, it's about to.

Thanks for the kind response... :3d_frown:

Anyways, what I meant was, if I wanted to be a helicopter pilot what's the difference as far as fee, training, cost, etc. goes...

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Training for a helicopter rating added to your pilots license will cost you about $6000 - $8000, I would guess. Even the smallest helicopter costs 50% more than a decent C172SP per hour. Of course its pretty neat to hover, but I prefer fixed wing aircraft. Good luck with your training, and enjoy it.
Diego
Commercial instrument, CFII

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
first one is just my supra next to teh huey, next three are why rolling hangar doors are FTL, last one is just kewlness, for being an airport in a town of <9000 people (Demopolis, AL)

Camera phone pics FTL

Attachments

• 02-23-07_1837.jpg
    02-23-07_1837.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Viking 1.jpg
    Viking 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Viking 2.jpg
    Viking 2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Viking 3.jpg
    Viking 3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 5
  • OH-58's.jpg
    OH-58's.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 7

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
kewlness, kewlness, Yakness, Cardinal after the storm that knocked in those hangar doors, and a local CIII pilot :D

Attachments

• Mig-17 3.jpg
    Mig-17 3.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Mig-17 6.jpg
    Mig-17 6.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 12-02-06_1224.jpg
    12-02-06_1224.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 4
  • C-177.jpg
    C-177.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Mark Harrell.jpg
    Mark Harrell.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 2

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Actually flew over your house yesterday, Doc. I had to fly a new G36 Bonanza back from a town called Mena(KMEZ), Arkansas to Atlanta. Although I have about 30 hours in Bonanzas, I failed to mention to the guy that it was ALL right seat, and that I had never actaully operated one. It flew as I expected, though. And turned out to be very easy to land. Of course the G1000 panel makes it alot easier as far as situational awareness.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
All of that old Cold War Erra fighting equipment scares the crap outa me. It was all made to the bare minimum.

"Ya. You strap in Igor Silvinski and we go and have you shoot at Americans."

bobiseverywhere

bobb'n for money
Apr 1, 2005
Montreal
www.bobiseverywhere.com
I still have a dream of going for my Private pilots license :) i would like to get up to a single engine jet powered aircraft. There are some pretty cool things out there that you can do with enough cash. i know the Jet aircraft is a bit of a dream but i still plan on getting my pilots license once i am done going back to school and i get rolling on a good career path :)

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
supraguy@aol said:
Actually flew over your house yesterday, Doc. I had to fly a new G36 Bonanza back from a town called Mena(KMEZ), Arkansas to Atlanta. Although I have about 30 hours in Bonanzas, I failed to mention to the guy that it was ALL right seat, and that I had never actaully operated one. It flew as I expected, though. And turned out to be very easy to land. Of course the G1000 panel makes it alot easier as far as situational awareness.
If you get a chance, land at Demopolis, AL (7A2, freq 122.8). That's were I first worked. Talk to Buzz, he can tell you anything you wanna know about F-86's and F-4's and flyin anything with two wings. A local pilot once asked him if he had ever dropped napalm, and he replied "Oh, I was good at droppin' napalm, I could drop it to within 20 feet of friendlies"
He's got a beautiful T-6 Texan thats worth dropping by to see if you're heading that way and need some gas. It's a 5000 ft strip, runway repaved prolly 8 years ago, in great condition, NDB approach to 04.

Meh, who needs a G1000? Our GPS just tells you what direction to fly and how far away your destination is, don't need a big panel for that. Otherwise, i fly IFR (I follow roads/rail).

The guy in that Mig-17 has like 7 'kills' against f/a-18s and some more kills against a couple other aircraft, and he is currently the only civilian in the United States rated to fly the F-4 (Phantom?). In a (relatively) low speed turning battle, that Mig will out-turn just about anything. He said he usually flies against the hornets, beats them, tells them what they did wrong, then they tear his ass up :)
He said he asked a Russian Mig-17 pilot/techy once "The book says that this plane will do Mach 1.003 (or something like that), will it really do it?" The russian replied "well, she'll do it, but, ah, she no like to" Point taken :).

I was talking to a few of the Yak pilots, and they were talking about how many of them had less time than was reported. They said that the pilots would sometimes takeoff, then land somewhere else, siphon the gas into someone's gas tank, wait an hour, then fly back :).
Another funny Yak-trivia: Everything on those planes is air powered (because the air is the only thing that doesnt freeze in siberia), this means, air powered brakes, and even air powered engine start. What this means is that if you don't get your engine running on the first couple starts, you lose your brakes, so if you get that engine started on that last try, there better not be anyone in the way :D.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
You sure about the only civilian rated to fly Phantoms? I assume that you mean he's never been military, because the examiner who gavwe me my CFI(based at KJFX) used to fly recon on the edge of Cuban airspace, though of course, he WAS military. We've got a couple of L39's based here, as well as a T34, and someone else is restoring an A-4(KRYY).
This is us:
www.Superiorflight.com

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
supraguy@aol said:
You sure about the only civilian rated to fly Phantoms? I assume that you mean he's never been military, because the examiner who gavwe me my CFI(based at KJFX) used to fly recon on the edge of Cuban airspace, though of course, he WAS military. We've got a couple of L39's based here, as well as a T34, and someone else is restoring an A-4(KRYY).
This is us:
www.Superiorflight.com
unless i misheard him, he was never military. His company owns the mig, and it's maintenence(sp?) is paid through grants.

I gots a question about vortex generators, in case any of you have a degree in aerodynamics :)
I understand that when you put the VG kits on the leading edge of the wing, it lowers stall speed and gives it a little more lift; why do some kits put vortex generators on the bottom of the tail?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
For the same reason, I imagine.
The underside of the tail is where you want lift to occur, basically pulling down on the tail.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
supraguy@aol said:
For the same reason, I imagine.
The underside of the tail is where you want lift to occur, basically pulling down on the tail.
not during a stall.

anyways, epic win \/
I learned about flying from DAT said:
It was a typical day in Oregon, Low ceilings with drizzle and about enough visibility to
see the radiator ornament as I drove toward our airport.

I had just soloed the day before and wasn't about to let the weather deter me from another
exciting experience at the controls of an airplane. I admit that I was pretty proud of my
accomplishment, and had invited my next-door neighbor to ride with me. I planned to fly
to a neighboring town about 200 miles away where I knew there was a good restaurant.

On the way to the airport, my neighbor, John Williams, expressed some worry about the trip.
"Don't worry about a thing", I reassured him, "I understand their hamburgers are excellent".

When we arrived at the field, the drizzle had turned to a hard steady rain. This concerned
me a little, as I was wearing my brown and white shoes, and my mother had warned me about
getting them muddy. We checked with the local operator and found that my regular airplane,
a Cessna 120, was down for repairs.

The operator was a good-hearted follow, though, and when he saw my disappointment he assigned
me another one, N3341P, which turned out to be a Piper Apache.

"It's practically the same as a 120", he told me when I discovered there was an extra engine.
"Just remember you have to pull the gear up."

After a pre-flight check of the airplane, I noticed the tail wheel was missing, but didn't say
anything for fear he would cancel the trip. We climbed aboard and began looking for the
starter.

Just then the operator came running out to tell me there was a severe thunderstorm at my
destination and warned me to be careful. I assured him I wasn't afraid of thunderstorms.

The takeoff was uneventful, but we did use what seemed to be a lot of runway for an airplane
with two engines. (I learned later, we had taken off downwind with the parking brake on.)

We climbed into a solid overcast at about 400 feet. This was a bad disappointment, as I knew
John would have been interested in the scenery. The air was pretty smooth, though, and except
for the ice that kept forming over the windshield, there was little to see.

For a pilot with only six hours, I thought I handled the controls pretty smoothly, although,
for some reason things occasionally flew out of my pockets up to the roof.

John didn't seem to notice. In fact, he kept staring straight ahead with sort of a glassy
expression. I guess he was afraid of the height, as some non-pilots are.

After about an hour, I began to be concerned over the fact I could not see anything. It was
going to be difficult to spot other traffic around the airport at our destination, and I hoped
the other pilots would use a little good sense and keep a sharp eye in such bad weather.

It was obvious that I was going to have to get down lower, if I wanted to see anything.
It was too bad that the altimeter was so unreliable. It kept winding and unwinding rapidly,
and I guessed that it hadn't been kept in good repair.

Anyway, following this plan I began to come down. Just then the left engine quit. No warning,
nothing. It just quit. John made a sort of gurgling noise then, and it was about the first
thing he had said since we left. I explained that there was nothing to worry about, as we had
another engine that hadn't even been used yet! So I started the right engine, and John must
have felt better after that, because he went to sleep.

Well, pretty soon we did get down far enough, so that I could see the ground. It was pretty
dark under the clouds, and if it weren't for the lightening flashes, it would have been hard
to find any good landmarks. Then I spotted a highway and remembered there was a highway near
the airport we were headed toward, so I followed it.

It was difficult to read the road signs in all that rain, and I had to stay pretty low. Several
cars ran off the road when we passed them, and I could say it was true about flying being a lot
safer than driving.

After awhile we did find the airport, but l had to fly around the tower a few times to make sure
it was the right one. I didn't want to make a mistake and have everyone know I was a student
pilot. They were very hospitable at the airport and flashed all kinds of colored lights as a
welcome. So I landed and slid up to the parking area. (The operator should have mentioned that
you have to put the gear down -again.) Everybody there was pretty excited. It was easy to see
they had never seen a Piper Apache before. John was still sleeping soundly, and I had to have
help to carry him into the restaurant.

Well, I certainly learned about flying from that, and I want to pass on some good advice to
other student pilots.

Don't believe everything you hear--the food was terrible.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
flight doc89 said:
not during a stall.

anyways, epic win \/

Not during a stall? VG's aren't about to cause anyone to NOT recover from a stall. VG's just improve adhesion of the laminar flow over a surface. This improves the effectiveness of the trailing edge devices as well. They don't cause cause loss of control, they cause improvement of control.

flight doc89

Registered Murse
Apr 21, 2006
supraguy@aol said:
Not during a stall? VG's aren't about to cause anyone to NOT recover from a stall. VG's just improve adhesion of the laminar flow over a surface. This improves the effectiveness of the trailing edge devices as well. They don't cause cause loss of control, they cause improvement of control.
thats not what i was saying; i was saying that during a stall, you don't want downforce on the tail. what u said explains my earlier question, tho :D

edit: i said that in response to this
supraguy@aol said: