old style supra badge.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
South Shields, Tyne & Wear ENGLAND
is there any differences between the old style badge on prefacelift and facelift supras? i got a badge sent up ages ago and ive just found it lol. I went to trial fit it and it seems slightly smaller than the hollow section on the nose cone. also the clip on the back appears to be too low down on the badge. so it kind of doesnt sit right and rocks about a bit. I was wondering if maybe it was from a facelift supra and there are slight differences.

anyone shed any light on this?

cheers

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
nosechunks said:
you mean a diffrence between the red supra emblem and the Toyota Symbol on the nose panel that changed from IIRC '90 to '91??
no i mean was there any slight differences in the original emblem that may have been made between 1986 to 1991. I have an 1987 car and a badge from an unknown year car. they look the same from the front. just it doesnt look as if itll stick on correctly

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Finnon said:
ahh i have no rubber gasket. hmm just the metal badge.

nah it says toyota supra on it not celica supra
Then you need to get a new badge. The metal and plastic/rubber parts should not come apart... You'll also want the metal clip that holds the thing on (assuming you don't already have one).

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Finnon said:
ahh i have no rubber gasket. hmm just the metal badge.

nah it says toyota supra on it not celica supra

Not all MA61 badges said "Celica Supra" some just said "Supra", but regardless, it sounds like you're missing something.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
When I got my car it only had the metal part attached by double-sided tape. It flew off my car at 100+ mph. I bought a replacement on eBay that had the plastic bit still attached and included the metal clip. You have to have the plastic part in order to use the clip.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
hmm right well the back of my badge is all metal. How much was the ebay badge? was it an old one or was it a new part? how much would a new badge from an american toyota dealers cost? in the uk im sure it was something like £65

jugodegolf

Supramania Contributor
Apr 5, 2005
Phoenix,AZ, United States
Jeff Lange said:
Not all MA61 badges said "Celica Supra" some just said "Supra", but regardless, it sounds like you're missing something.

Why's this one different Jeff?
p750989_1.jpg

ViR2

Supraniac
May 20, 2006
Lithuania
www.hpaddict.eu
^^I have the same.

So if I would ripe of the T sign and put old supra badge it will fit? I dont like the look of T badge and I want that good old supra badge :)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
The header panel NEVER changed. Yes, if you take off the "T" logo you can put the badge on, and yes, you can put the newer logo on the older cars, without modification.

I'll check price today at work.

Jeff

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
Jeff Lange said:
The header panel NEVER changed. Yes, if you take off the "T" logo you can put the badge on, and yes, you can put the newer logo on the older cars, without modification.

I'll check price today at work.

Jeff
This is correct. Underneath the T badge it is still has the recessed rectangle. I have a 1991 and I put the older style badge on mine.

ViR2 said:
So if I would ripe of the T sign and put old supra badge it will fit? I dont like the look of T badge and I want that good old supra badge :)
You don't want to just rip it off. You have to remove the nose panel to undo the clip behind the badge. I tried just ripping the badge off of my old 1987 (RIP) but I ended up just separating the metal bit from the plastic, rendering it completely unusable. You'll have to remove the nose piece to put on a new badge anyway.

Removing the nose panel is probably a 1-hour job if you know what you're doing and put all the screws in labeled bags. It took me longer.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
damn some chavs stole my badge by busting it off. iirc i tried removing the nose cone once but the first bolt just span lol so i gave up. Out of interest when i do get a badge i can refit, can i replace the metal backing part? or is that actually part of the nose cone? its rusted a bit on mine is all.

Finnon

Mar 26, 2006
heres a pic of mine. you can just see the rusty part where the bonnet would shut onto. its right by one of the nose cone bolts (or is the metal part of the nose?) its just next to the expansion tank for the coolant

p752072_1.jpg

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
feels weird seeing the brake booster on the other side, hahah..

if you buy a "T" emblem from Toyota, it comes with double-sided tape, which means you can opt. to just slap it on...