Okay, now it looks like my Engine has rodknock, Someone please help me!

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
i feel for ya brother im in the same boat. i would suggest on getting an aftermarket oil gauge as well, i know i could have saved my engine if i had one.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
claricae86 said:
i feel for ya brother im in the same boat. i would suggest on getting an aftermarket oil gauge as well, i know i could have saved my engine if i had one.

There are so many things I wish I could do differently with this engine. I'm poor so I'm going for two of the three that you can have when owning a sports car: Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Going for Cheap and Reliable.

claricae86

Aug 23, 2006
oklahoma
i hear ya on the being broke, im sure my sup will be down atleast a year because of my knock problem, hopefully you see good luck when you tear into the engine goodluck man

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Naw not REPLACING the supra... I just need something to get me to work, ya know? Getting 800 to put my old GE into a friends Supra that he blew the motor on. Gonna use that 800 to buy one.

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
1988SupraDreams said:
which is why I'm getting one :D
I feel your pain man I just got my car back from a complete bottom end build because the preveous owner didnt know how to even look under the hood or at anything but the gas and speed gauge. Good luck man. If you need any rods let me know i have a few laying around i'll check and see if they are still good and only charge you shipping to get it to you.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
whenmunkysfly said:
I feel your pain man I just got my car back from a complete bottom end build because the preveous owner didnt know how to even look under the hood or at anything but the gas and speed gauge. Good luck man. If you need any rods let me know i have a few laying around i'll check and see if they are still good and only charge you shipping to get it to you.

Awesome! I'll let you know when I get it out.

1988SupraDreams

Mar 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Okay, I've decided to pay a family friend (Who owns a shop) to wrench on my Supra. I started the car for him, and he says it sounds more like a violent rattle, like something is loose. Something I just discovered that I did NOT install on my car were the spacers for the flywheel. Could this be the cause of the problem? I don't know how I could forget something so important, but I did.

What leads me to believe this, is that it didn't start making this violent noise until the engine was under load going down the road for the first time, and the noise changes when I let the clutch in when the car is out of gear parked. The car starts up everytime after the engine cranks 3 or 4 times. Upon inspection of the 6th spark plug, the electrode is white, like it's not firing. The other five are nice and brown like the should be. Also, When I let the engine free spin with no plugs in, and the throttle open, it doesnt knock, but when I was doing a compression test, it knocked in all six cylinders, but was worst in the 6th. Could it be something with the transmission or does it sound like the crank to you guys?

I'm paying him 80 bucks to tell me what it is by any means necessary. He said if its something retarded like those two plates, he'll install them for free, but if its the bearing in the 6th, then it's 300 for labor and parts are my responsibility. I personally am sick of pulling and installing 7m's, I've done it four times in the last six months. And for all the labor involved in replacing the bearing in the 6th, I think that's a good price.

Any Advice, Comments, Flames? Post here.

89_turborunner

Oct 1, 2006
Oregon
1988SupraDreams said:
I think that's a good price.

Any Advice, Comments, Flames? Post here.

I have dropped off a job that I could have EASILY done at a mechanic before. I had just installed an engine and it needed a rear main. So I took it to a mechanic, so i could work on my supra engine instead... lol.

I think that is a good price. But I am no expert on labor costs.

Good luck getting your transportation back on the road.