oil water temp gauge no worekie after turbo swap

unfairlane

Oct 19, 2008
nj
Hey here is the deal my car is a 89 with a turbo motor and and 89 ecu and harnesss swapped into it. My problem is the oil pressure gauge and water temp gauge does not work. Is ther some rewiring that has to be done to make this work. If so can some one give me some insight to what I need to do. I only need to gauges to work for a little while. once I get the car running right I will swap over to autometer. Thank in advance for the help.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
First make sure that wires on the water neck and to the oil pressure sensor are in the correct spot.

attachment.php

Bill UK

90 Supra Turbo 14 psi
Aug 11, 2006
UK
Location of oil pressure terminal, just one wire, normally has a black rectangle insulator surrounding.

p1168869_1.jpg

unfairlane

Oct 19, 2008
nj
Already did that. Installed new conectors on thje oil and temp wires. And everything is in the right place. Funny I referenced those two pictures when I made sure they are in the right spot. I also grounded the wires to see if the gauges would spike, and they do not move. It is almost like they are not even hooked up. Anything else I am missing?

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Does the rest of the gauge cluster work?
How about the check engine light and power seats/windows?

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
The Turbo hanress you installed what year Supra was it out of? I am sure it's the correct year, because it seems like everything is working fine, assuming you didn't list anything else wrong.

I would check the wires and connectors leading to these. I am sure you have something wrong with the connectors, if you're only having a few problems, then this is something that can happen.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
my car is a 91 i have a 89 ecu and i beleave a 90 harness, all everything works except for the temp and oil pressure. And no my check engine light isnt working.

its been to cold to try and mess with the conections on the thermostat houseing

unfairlane

Oct 19, 2008
nj
Yes the check engine light works, only 2 gauges not working are oil and water. all I know is that the harness was out of a running 89. I do have one plug not connected at the ecu. I belive it is the plug for the turbo dash or for traction control. I belive the ecu is hooked up right. I didnt think you could get it wrong thought all plugs were diffferent. Only other prob I have is the car is very hard to start when cold. i have to crank for nearly a minute straight for it to start. I think that has something to do with cold start injector or cold sart injector time switch. also my stock boost sending unit is not plugged in. I can't find the plug anywhere on my car(prob because it is a na car) The car is really a mess. I have learned way to much abourt the Mark 3 in the few short weeks I have owned this damn car. But it runs and drives good. Other then hitting 15 psi and fuel cut. I dnt think the wastegate is opening. As soon as I get these small bugs worked out I will be purchasing 550s to go with my lexus maf, and I will be getting a 255 and doing the rewire. Car already has a front mount and 3 inch turbo basck exhaust. and the motor has been rebuilt and head torques to 80 ft lbs.