Oil Recommendation

jessetooslow

May 11, 2007
Tiverton, R.I.
I was just wondering what you guys reccomend for oil weight, should I use a 10w30, or what, I've never used synthetic, not much of a fan of it, and how many quarts should I use, isn't factory 4.7? could I just use 5? thanks:1zhelp:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yep, searching will yield that you want to actually keep the oil a little high, run 10w30, and synthetic is highly recommended if you are turbocharged.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Doward said:
Yep, searching will yield that you want to actually keep the oil a little high, run 10w30, and synthetic is highly recommended if you are turbocharged.

At most ;)
I like either a 0W or 5W-30 myself for the cold flow characteristics.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 is an excellent choice if you want a Group III oil...rivals the "true synthetics" and will do a great job in a turbo motor.

suprageezer

Aug 27, 2005
Southern California
I switched to 5w-30 Castrol GTX, and still at 3.5k rpm on the freeway when its 85 outside I'm seeing 60psi, and about 18psi at idle. Next I'll try 0-30 and see if that drops the pressure closer to the recommended 10psi for every 1k rpm. I like many used 20w-50 cause thats what I always used in the past but after reading the write up on http://63.240.161.99/motoroil/ I decided the Jdub was right on the money and I had to be redumacated. I've seen an increase in mileage and the engine is quieter upon start up.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
^Nothing should change really besides you oil pressure at/soon after startup.

TSRM spec is actually a bit over 10psi per 1k RPM... I know 10 per 1k is the rule of thumb, but I'd rather go by the car specific spec if its available.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Don't forget guys the effect the stock cooler circuit has on pressure. The cooler relief valve in the stock filter head opens at ~40 psi, routes oil to the cooler, then dumps it in the pan. That is why you usually do not see pressures much over 40-50 psi at 3000+ rpm...unless you have the pump relief valve shimmed quite a bit.

That is corect, the biggest effect you will actually see on a stock gauge is at idle...a 0W or 5W-30 will produce lower idle pressures once warmed up. This is a good thing, assuming still in TRSM spec like Swaq said...your oil is flowing with min resistance at idle.

Geezer - those are really good pressures. You should be able to run a 0W-30 with no problem ;)

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
6 quarts of 0W-30 or 5W-30 oil will be just fine and no worries of it having too much oil in the engine at 6 quarts. A good practice is to keep 1 quart over in this engine. It takes a little more than 7 quarts of oil in the engine on the stock oil pan before you have to start worrying about the crank dipping into the oil ;).