oil out the exhaust?

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
so i was told, that i was loosing oil out of my exhaust.
i was loosing oil. or can say i am still.
he told me it could be one of two things, valve stem seal, or piston ring.
would like some help on what to do, or what should i do.
symptom:
white smoke coming out of exhaust on intial start up
once warm, no smoke.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Valve stem seals will blow white smoke on cold start up until engine warms up a little.

Rings usually tend to smoke all the time if bad.

Can either pull head off and have machine shop replace the seals. Or buy the spring compressor for ohc heads and a compression tester fitting to keep air pressure in the cylinder your working on to keep the valves up.

Reg

Jul 16, 2010
Nashville, TN
Just saw this thread and instead of making a new one over the same subject. I am having the same problem, small puff of smoke after cold startup but none after warm. Also to add near the back of the engine im starting to gather a good bit of oil in the spark plug valley. A good bit has fallen in the last spark plug as i took the boot off..... Cleaned most of it up and no misfires yet. Im thinking my seals and cover gaskets have gone bad or one/other. Car still runs very strong

xnuclear23

Nov 6, 2010
California SoCal
Reg;1816395 said:
...Also to add near the back of the engine im starting to gather a good bit of oil in the spark plug valley. A good bit has fallen in the last spark plug as i took the boot off.....

Try getting some valve cover bolts that you can get a socket on and torque down and see if that fixes it the leak into the spark plug valley. I had a similar problem like this and I replaced the valve cover gaskets many times, I even tried putting down a layer of fipg under the gaskets but it continued to leak until i changed out the valve cover bolts.

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
just to add more to the symptom: .
also to note, it did blow some white smoke b4 i put the new 3in turbo back ex. system. but now, can
smell the oil coming out

gsxr141

Oct 24, 2010
rochester
i guess i'll jump in with my symptoms....

i have oil smoke out of the tailpipe under decel, if i leave it in gear. is this rings or something in the head?

mcammarn

matt
Feb 24, 2012
olympia wa
so i think im going to go with piston rings. its blowing white smoke all the time at idle. im guessing i just dont see it while im driving bc of the wind jus dispercing it. so i guess this means rebuild! which i am not really looking forward to doing.especially with it at 127k.