oil in exhaust manifold

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY
Yes, a composite gasket is going to be much more forgiving to an uneven head/block. Just as Ian said, keep the boost to a minimum to get you by.

BTW, I NEVER post "bhg" unless I mean it, it wasn't a joke ;).

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
i know.... i trust both of your opinions with respect. this is what my plan is for now. ill let you guys know how it goes. thanks for your help
-pete

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
yea well i finally pulled the head. thought it was a stuck valve. was looking at the valves and they all seem fine. but i did find this.

Attachments

• P4180015.JPG
    P4180015.JPG
    387.1 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
starscream5000;994486 said:
Damn, did you clean it as well? Or was it steam cleaned?

How's the head look for that cylinder?

Find the other part of the broken piston?

Did i clean what? the piston head?

actually the valves and combustion chamber for that cylinder are for the most part clean and shiney... i guess all that unburnt fuel cleaned it up good.

i cant find it anywhere... its too big to fit past the valves. and if it did, it didnt damage the blades on the turbo.

i guess im not waiting for the summer to build my new motor.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Hard to say from a pic, but the edge looks round and pitted...i.e it went lean and melted the piston.

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If an injector cuts out on ya...it will go lean. Really fast and it can happen on a single cylinder too ;)

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Might want to have your injectors cleaned & flow tested anyway...I would pay particular attention to #3 ;)

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
there was also some scarring on the bore of that same cylinder. its perfectly lined up with the piece missing.
i was planning on waiting till the summer to get the injectors cleaned and flow tested, but since im gonna build the new motor now, i will send them out this week. or im also trying to find a trade for 650cc injectors now that i can raise the boost.

sneakypete

Jul 18, 2007
Central NJ
since there is scarring on the block in car, should i use the spare block or the block in the car? the block thats in the car is pretty new and clean, but the spare block isnt fucked up. it shouldnt matter since my new pistons are oversized tho right?
thanks for the input
-pete

jdub

SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
That depends on how deep the cylinder wall scarring is and the oversize of the pistons.