NOOB!

vtecmonster

Nov 27, 2007
Yakima, WA
hello everyone, im originally a honda guy and new to this site, im trying to do some research on my next project which i chose to be a Toyota. ... would anyone have a link to some engine references that would maybe list tranny codes that it is compatible with ... any help is appreciated thanks!

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Hey there.

You've mentioned to do a Toyota, but I'll assume you'll be doing a MKIII Supra since you've registered on this website.

As far as what engines/transmissions to use in the remote Supra family...

7M-GE (Non Turbo Supra) 5 speeds use a W58 Transmission.
7M-GTE (Turbo Supra) 5 speeds use an R154 Transmission.

Automatic Supras (Both Turbo & NonTurbo) used an A340E 4 speed.

Along with these transmissions, you've got your 1JZ-GTE's that are commonly swapped into MA70 Supras.

There are MANY other options...but these are your common ones.

Good Luck with whatever you decide to do!

-Jeff

vtecmonster

Nov 27, 2007
Yakima, WA
actually, i was lookin to get a hold of a 1jzgte, build it and drop it into what most would do is an MKIII, but my plan for it was to put in an 87 SR5 2wd shortbed pickup..... i just dont know where to start. my main concerns are motor mounts and driveline fitments ... any inputs from anyone are highly appreciated. ... thanks.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Welcome to the site. There are a couple of people here from Yakima/Selah. I wouldn't have a clue on where to start you project from, but there are several people here who are very knowledgeable. Search, ask, and have fun here.

IIRC there is someone on here who dropped a 7M into a Tacoma. From WA state somwhere.

Boost Lee

Bee Doo Bee Doo Bee Doo
Staff member
Sep 13, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
Dunckel said:
Welcome to the site. There are a couple of people here from Yakima/Selah. I wouldn't have a clue on where to start you project from, but there are several people here who are very knowledgeable. Search, ask, and have fun here.

IIRC there is someone on here who dropped a 7M into a Tacoma. From WA state somwhere.

There are LOTS of 'Yota trucks with 1J's, 2J's and especially 7M's.

There are a few even here local that have a straight 6 monster in it.

Just do some researching on the forums, you'll find some good info.
There are a couple people I know of at least on here that have put one of these motors into trucks...One of them deep into the 9's. :naughty:

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Welcome...It took me, having a Honda background as well, a little while to figure out how shit works with these cars. Oh and Hondas(the 4cyls) are about 10time eaiser to work on than Supras..Theres not a whole lot of room to fit ur arms and tools around the engine bay, but you'll get used to it. Oh yea and pretty much everyone on here thinks any honda is rice..get used to it, i did...
And jesus...i hate the ep3..sorry but it looks like a small mini van.My friend used to own one and we gave him hell for driving the mini van around town. lol. I still got my red ej8 (96 coupe- with a poormans R swap) :) enjoy the site..theres tons of info on here if you know how to search.
Edit: check this out..guy in ATL at mainstream performance called TurboDave.. Tacoma with a 2jz/6speed i believe. http://www.importatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135790