noob question. O2 sensor.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
if I were to buy a wideband o2 sensor, do I still keep my stock one? I know I would weld in a new bung but I was wondering do I run the wideband signal to the ecu or if the wideband is strictly for the gauge? Im just wondering because my o2 sensor went out and if I could upgrade to wideband then I would but if I still need a narraowband I will just get that...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Or, to be more helpful...

The ECU cannot use a wideband signal, however, you CAN get a converter box which will put out a wideband signal for your gauge, or datalogger, and simulate a narowband for your ECU.

In that event, you no longer need the stock sensor.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
Dan_Gyoba;1041551 said:
Or, to be more helpful...

The ECU cannot use a wideband signal, however, you CAN get a converter box which will put out a wideband signal for your gauge, or datalogger, and simulate a narowband for your ECU.

In that event, you no longer need the stock sensor.

thanks. thats kinda what i assumed. Where could I find one of the converter box? AEM?

Fletch124

2jz swapped!
Jul 17, 2005
Reno, Nevada
1992supraman;1041616 said:
thanks. thats kinda what i assumed. Where could I find one of the converter box? AEM?

Your going to have to weld in a bung anyways considering the factory 02 sensor uses a 2 bolt flange instead of threads like the wideband. That is assuming you have a factory downpipe of an aftermarket downpipe without a bung welded in.

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
Fletch124;1041733 said:
Your going to have to weld in a bung anyways considering the factory 02 sensor uses a 2 bolt flange instead of threads like the wideband. That is assuming you have a factory downpipe of an aftermarket downpipe without a bung welded in.

read my first post. I said I know i have to weld a new bung in. tell me something useful.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
The converters aren't as fast as the real O2, so tuning can be a chore from what I've been told...

And nope, if you hunt around, there are adapters for the 2 bolt flange to the normal screw in, but you shouldn't run a WB that close to the turbo anyway...

1992supraman

Dec 1, 2007
Corvallis, OR
suprahabsfan;1042184 said:
Just keep the stock o2, have someone weld the bung, and be done with it

the only reason I asked is because my stock one went out and if I could by a wideband and kill 2 birds with one stone then I would... but I cant so ill just buy a new stock one and a wideband.