No vacuum at throttle body

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
I was checking my fuel pressure and found that there was no vacuum to the fuel pressure regulator. I started poking around and found there is no vacuum to any of the locations marked here in red:
vac-hose2.jpg

Of the two vacuum hardlines that run along the intake manifold, everything feeding off the larger one (lines in blue) had strong vacuum and all of the lines feeding off the smaller hardline (shown in red) had no vacuum.

I squirted some brake cleaner down the two hardlines directly behind the butterfly valve to make sure they weren't clogged and the engine instantly started sputtering, so the lines are open. Any idea what could cause this lack of vacuum? Am I wrong in thinking there should be strong vacuum at the two ports behind the butterfly valve?

FYI, my boost gauge shows 19 in/hg at idle.

JonoTurbo

Going for broke
Mar 30, 2005
CT
Neither of those ports have vacuum at idle, test them with any amount of throttle and you should find they have vacuum.

BoostFreak

Nov 11, 2005
Ohio
sorry off topic but are the two ports "behind the butterfly valve" on the TB a decent port to pull for the BOV because mine keeps fluttering and I'm afraid of compresser surge and I don't know if my BOV is getting enough vacume our not

aljordan

LEADED FUEL ONLY
Jul 14, 2005
Indianapolis, Indiana
www.apeserver.com
Wow... I JUUUSTTT put together that side of the motor.

He's there deal. The Fuel pressure-up VSV has 2 vac lines coming off it (L180 and L160). One of those lines tees off the big metal line that is connected to the intake manifold. The other vac line leads into the one of the metal lines that leads up to the FPR. You may want to by-pass the VSV and check your pressures again.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
BoostFreak said:
sorry off topic but are the two ports "behind the butterfly valve" on the TB a decent port to pull for the BOV because mine keeps fluttering and I'm afraid of compresser surge and I don't know if my BOV is getting enough vacume our not

No, there not a good source. You want the BOV to see vacuum when the throttle body closes, so that the BOV will open. What kind of BOV are you running? If it the BOSCH model then make sure you have it on the right way, it is very easy to get it backwards.

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
aljordan said:
Wow... I JUUUSTTT put together that side of the motor.

He's there deal. The Fuel pressure-up VSV has 2 vac lines coming off it (L180 and L160). One of those lines tees off the big metal line that is connected to the intake manifold. The other vac line leads into the one of the metal lines that leads up to the FPR. You may want to by-pass the VSV and check your pressures again.

I had another FPU VSV laying around so I hooked it up...no change. There is strong vacuum going in and out of the FPU VSV because it's on the larger hardline. It's the small hardline (and all the vacuum lines in red) that have no vacuum.

Thanks for the help; keep 'em coming!

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
what exactly are you looking for? the TB ports wont have any vacuum with the throttle plate closed.

the BOV and FPR need a MANIFOLD vacuum source. the ports on the TB are NOT acceptable sources of vacuum for those items.

(they are only there for the EGR actuator and the charcoal canister coolant vacuum switch.)

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
paddlenbike said:
I had another FPU VSV laying around so I hooked it up...no change. There is strong vacuum going in and out of the FPU VSV because it's on the larger hardline. It's the small hardline (and all the vacuum lines in red) that have no vacuum.

Thanks for the help; keep 'em coming!

the FPR VSV will let the FPR reference atmospheric pressure, not vacuum on an initial hot start for a certain amount of time. test the FPR vacuum line from the VSV again after driving the car for a little while.

paddlenbike

Apr 6, 2005
Northern CA
Thanks for the replies. The only thing I can imagine is the hardline between the FPU VSV and the bung where the stock FPR vac line attaches is somehow plugged. There is strong vaccum into and out of the FPU VSV, but not at the other end of the line at the FPR.

So what does the FPU VSV actually do? Does it shut off the vacuum source on a hot restart?