no spark!!!

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
just installed my 7mgte motor in mk 3 supra 87. 5spd. motor has built internal. c pics. but other wise stock. just wantd to get it runing stock before i put the new turbo, intake ect on. anyways everything is bck together and i have 0 spark. checked to c if ignitor has power and it does but no spark anyhelp would be great

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
JamesB said:
just installed my 7mgte motor in mk 3 supra 87. 5spd. motor has built internal. c pics. but other wise stock. just wantd to get it runing stock before i put the new turbo, intake ect on. anyways everything is bck together and i have 0 spark. checked to c if ignitor has power and it does but no spark anyhelp would be great

Check to see if there is a ground running on the engine. :biglaugh:

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
LordLo said:
Check to see if there is a ground running on the engine. :biglaugh:
thanks. basics basics basics. did a draw test from neg bat cable disconected to neg bat terminal. and got power.... now the fun begins trying to locate the draw. any common problem areas? tomorrow i will start the process off elimination " unpluging and checking all components " until i find the draw.

LordLo

Jun 20, 2006
OR
From all the engine changes and headgasket changes that I've done, people tend to forget to reattach the engine ground on the intake manifold that sits close to the VSV.

When that ground wire isn't connected, the car will do funny things. For example, a supra I worked on would fire up and run fine, but then it would randomly lose power to the coil pack. Found out it was because of the ground wire I mentioned above was not connected.

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
are you refering to the body ground that goes from " roughly" the exaust side of head, near cyl number 6 to the fire wall? or something else? worked on it again today and could not find the draw..... a first for me. i am stumped, do you think it could have something to do with the cam sensor and or timing? that is for the spark issue, not ground......

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
jetjock said:
I'm confused. Why would you be checking parasitic draw for a no spark condition?
to verify the integrity of the ignition systems ground source. or lack their of..... trying to eliminate the posibiities of error or fault in the system.

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
jetjock said:
I see. OK, my mistake...you're the one confused. That was a great answer though ;)
am i wrong in assuming no spark could be the result of a bad ground? if so tell me so that i can try other things. any ideas as to why no spark?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Of course a lack of ignition could be caused by a bad ground but measuring parasitic draw off the Mother Of All Grounds is not going to find it. If the main ground was bad nothing would be working and the engine certainly wouldn't crank. Since I'm assuming the CEL comes on with the key you must have the ECU ground at the intake manifold hooked up. If my assumption is wrong start there.

Assuming the coil packs are OK and powered all that's needed for spark is power and ground to a healthy ECU, a CPS signal, a good igniter, and good wiring. Here's another tip: pull the CPS out so you can spin it by hand while troubleshooting. No point is cranking the engine all the time. Be sure you put it back in right when done. For reasons I've never been able to fathom that simple task seems to stump many people.

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
jetjock said:
Of course a lack of ignition could be caused by a bad ground but measuring parasitic draw off the Mother Of All Grounds is not going to find it. If the main ground was bad nothing would be working and the engine certainly wouldn't crank. Since I'm assuming the CEL comes on with the key you must have the ECU ground at the intake manifold hooked up. If my assumption is wrong start there.

Assuming the coil packs are OK and powered all that's needed for spark is power and ground to a healthy ECU, a CPS signal, a good igniter, and good wiring. Here's another tip: pull the CPS out so you can spin it by hand while troubleshooting. No point is cranking the engine all the time. Be sure you put it back in right when done. For reasons I've never been able to fathom that simple task seems to stump many people.

wear exactly is the ecu groung on the intake?
i performed a check on the cps today and found that it is defective. tomorrow will instal new cps nd try for spark.
are u saying chck for spark by spinning the cps by hand? can u give me that procedure if possible? thanks or your help.
by the way youre car looks great

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
The procedure involves holding the CPS in one hand and spinning the gear with the other. Highly technical stuff.

You be welcome. I'm a Masshole myself. Plymouth born and raised. You know, the place where the Pilgrims first set foot on Fraggle Rock ;). And no, Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday. If I ever see anything Pilgrim related again it'll be too soon...

JamesB

Nov 15, 2007
mass
jetjock said:
The procedure involves holding the CPS in one hand and spinning the gear with the other. Highly technical stuff.

You be welcome. I'm a Masshole myself. Plymouth born and raised. You know, the place where the Pilgrims first set foot on Fraggle Rock ;). And no, Thanksgiving is not my favorite holiday. If I ever see anything Pilgrim related again it'll be too soon...

nice to know your a masshole as well ,now that you mention it that procedure does sound very compex, can u get me a picture to help me find the Cars Power steering (cps) and which ger should i be spining in ? no seriously thanks for the tip im sure it will make it alot easier sence im working on the car alone,99 % of the time.

monkihead

driven to thrill
Jul 23, 2005
texas
One of the problems i ran into while putting my car back together was the cps to harness connector. the prongs themselves were slipping out not making contact. sometimes it would start, other times it wouldn't. I killed 2 batteries (constantly draining & recharging) doing this.