NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs (Please Read!)

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
to stay kinda on topic, i need to do a tune up, so info on whether or not to go copper or iridium would be great. any places to find plug wires, too, cause i'm at 935 motorsports' page and MSD wires are 80 bucks... normal?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I love the magazines talking about iridiums adding power...

sure, over the old worn out plugs...

coppers wear out too fast IMHO, and I have them in my car right now as they where the only thing I could find when I NEEDED plugs. Platinums are stock on our cars and last a lot longer and function fine...

87mgte

87 Turbo Targa
Sep 9, 2007
Sequim
Ckanderson said:
what kind of wires do you need?

well... the kind that aren't 80 bucks lol. if that's how much they usually run for then i'm down, but something cheaper would be good. is there a sticky on plugs/wires or anything? i don't wanna be asking stupid questions if i could just go read up on it. i just want to know if
a. getting thicker wires is better
b. if iridiums are where it's at for average hp goals (~280whp)

i basically just want a performance-ish tune up. new plugs and wires is all i'm doing though... maybe an o2 sensor if i have the cash left over.

935motorsports

Mar 30, 2005
San Diego, CA
Check out our Kings wires, very good quality and available in a host of colors.

Since you are on my site, if you have a "suggestion" on how to clean up that area, let me know. Give me a call. If you can give me some good tips, I'll give you a little discount.

Dunckel

Jan 16, 2007
Spokane, WA
Another question about Iridiums:
Denso, or NGK. Is there a difference? For what it's worth, I run Denso. And I'm not gonna say how much I paid for mine.:cry:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
O.K., as stated earlier, I put some new Irridiums on a couple days ago. I also stated that I regapped them, not knowing that I wasn't suppose to. Tonight when getting on it in third and fourth at about 5000-5500 rpm, it started sputtering like it does when I have my NGK 6097 gapped too high. I'm taking these out tomorrow and taking them back to Advance and he's going to replace them for me. (for free since they have a two year warranty on them) I'm going to go with the NGK irridiums for the Saab 900 turbo. They are suppose to have a smaller gap already. Hopefully these will work. Does anyone else know about another irridium with a smaller than stock gap. My car has to be run at .020 on the NGK 6097 for it to run good at high rpms and 17psi. Thanks, Jay

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
iridiums can be gapped....

just do NOT touch the center electrode...

If you can find the very nice (and expensive) plug gapping pliers they won't touch the electrode and will set them all the same...

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
I have a feeling my pops is going to go with the coppers on this one. I personally would rather get the iridiums and even though its my car what he says goes =(. So I will try to convince to get the NGK Spark plug wires as well =D

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
OneJoeZee said:
That's strange, Jay. I gap mine at .30 which works great for me.

JustAnotherVictim said:
Cars runs different in the South.

Trust me, everything is different in the south............not always for the worse, but not always for the better either.

Before I went with the standalone, I gapped my plugs to .028 and it ran perfectly. Since I've installed the standalone, it won't run under high boost at high rpms without sputtering. I've tried .025 and had the same occurance. I tried .030 and had the same problem. I tried .020 and it runs perfectly. I'm going to try gapping the irridiums to .025 today and see how they work.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Yes, it is around the 5000-5500rpm range. I have new plugs already ordered and I was too lazy to go get them today. I have wisdom teeth giving me a problem and all I want to do is lay down and cry.............:cry:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
J: You can give it 3>4 more degrees of advance on the timing map right around where it's blowing the spark out and this should get you through the peak cylinder pressure stutter.
(once you're back on your feet that is)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Thanks IJ. I'm going to get a new set tomorrow and gap them to about .025 and this time I'm not going to rough up the spark plug. I'll be more careful not to hurt the tip. I'll also hook my lap top up to the standalone and see where it starts sputtering. Maybe it wont' sputter so bad if I dont' hurt the plug so bad. I tried to find stock irridiums with smaller gap, but the supra had the smallest gap of all the plugs we looked up. Most gaps were pregapped to about .040 and we looked at probably twenty five cars. We checked every turbo'd car we could think of.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
J: Once you go under about 25 thou gap the electrode gets a bit Mongy shaped and it's hard to get a consistant gap.

Using the above trick on the dyno got me through the stutters nicely.