New Supra owner impressions

IrishRon

Nov 16, 2010
NW Georgia
*** mods, if this doesn't really fit this section, please move. I felt this is more mk3 related than off-topic ***

i've had my Supra for 3 weeks now, and have been able to do some spirited driving in the mountains, well maybe very big hills :icon_razz .

Much more stable and predictable than my old Z31 300zx turbo, I'm going to say that has more to do with a longer wheelbase. Much more flexible than my Z31, and it had t-tops, while my Supra is a hardtop. The extra weight feels a little more reassuring. Allot more body roll, however, this seems to be an easy fix with better sway bars. This car would be really nice with some poly and delrin bushings.

First things to do will be to replace the bushings, add better sway bars and adjustable coilovers. Maybe get a front and rear upper bar, and fab up a Do-Luck replica. I liked Nissan's factory adjustable suspension more than Toyota's TEMS, all the settings seem a little soft for my liking. I really love the 4.30 LSD, and seems to add a little more punch to the N/A engine.

I would have preferred a targa, but finding a Supra with a 5-speed (way too many automatics, wtf?) and all stock or nearly so, wasn't easy. I do see another Supra in my future, and let my son eventually have this one. But until that time, I'm going to have some fun with this one.

I don't foresee any engine mods in the near future, but either of the JZ engines seems interesting. Maybe even a 7M-GTE, as 300 to 400 hp seems like it would be nice, don't want too much, as I feel much more than that is really too much for the street.

All this has me thinking... I wonder what I would need to do for this Mk3 to be able to show it's taillights to my friends RX7 R2.... Maybe race him from a roll? :icon_bigg I am enjoying my Supra, and feel it is more "me" than other cars I have had (with the exception of my SHO that I had for 16 years), and can see myself keeping this one for a long time. I just wish I hadn't waited so long to get one :cry:

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Nice read. Good to hear that you're enjoying your Supra, they can provide a life's work and fun.

There is plenty of info available here to help you progress with your car. I know that there are various preferences on suspension components and I have a few that I really like.
You could look at the Energy Suspension bushings, Ronnie K sub frame bushings, White Line sway bars, Tein Master Control Flex coilovers /w the EDFC & Supra Sport SS rear traction arms as a start. I also just picked up the Beech lower control arms and toe arms, they're not installed yet, and until my car is back on the road I won't have any experience with them.

Just some thoughts. Anyway, hope you have a good time as your car develops, keep driving and have fun! At least yours is on the road.

-Fred

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Welcome to the addiction man. An 84 Z31 is what got me into turbo sports cars in the first place, and an RX7 TII is what cemented the love of them. It wasn't until a friend of mine took me for a ride in "Janelle" that I knew I had to have a Mk3. Ended up getting one about a year later, an 88 n/a auto.

As for your friend with the Rx7, it all depends on the drivers here, and how stock that FC is. Friend of mine with the above mentioned TII raced me in my Supra once, from a dig, and he didn't get a great launch, and also had his wife in the car, and up to 100 or so, we were more or less even. Had his car been modded at all though, it wouldn't have been pretty for me. ;)