New Supra owner from Alabama

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
Got bad news from the shop. Rod #5 is egg-shaped and can not be fixed and the crankshaft is shot.:cry: Now I have to decide if I want to punch out the block 20 or 30 over and if I'm going to stroke the motor.

Thankfully my friends at H&M Customs are helping me out with parts and such to keep the cost down to just an arm. After I get the block out of the machine shop the head is going in for a rebuild. I need to see if oversized valves can be used. The head will be PNP, 3 angle valve job, decking the head and possibly a shave.

I know going NA-T would normally be cheaper but since I help out at the custom shop I'm getting the parts at wholesale prices and the machine shop is helping out on the cost too. So in the meantime I'll be scooting along in my black 90 Acura Integra. Ofcourse once I get the motor rebuilt it will be dyno'd. If everthing goes as planned "Mid-Life Crisis" will be getting a race motor when it is all done.

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
A friend of mine is taking pics of the tear down and rebuild. Once the motor is done the transmission will be next. Then the brakes and suspension will come afterward. In the meantime I get to track down electrical gremlins... oh joy....

SAWZALL

Aug 31, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Well this makes two new Supra owners from Alabama!!! HooaH Brother, I am in Mobile, we may pass each other one day, who knows,.. I will be sure to wave, while I admire your ride! Hope you do the same.
SAWZ

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
labrat469 said:
Got bad news from the shop. Rod #5 is egg-shaped and can not be fixed and the crankshaft is shot.:cry: Now I have to decide if I want to punch out the block 20 or 30 over and if I'm going to stroke the motor.

Thankfully my friends at H&M Customs are helping me out with parts and such to keep the cost down to just an arm. After I get the block out of the machine shop the head is going in for a rebuild. I need to see if oversized valves can be used. The head will be PNP, 3 angle valve job, decking the head and possibly a shave.

I know going NA-T would normally be cheaper but since I help out at the custom shop I'm getting the parts at wholesale prices and the machine shop is helping out on the cost too. So in the meantime I'll be scooting along in my black 90 Acura Integra. Ofcourse once I get the motor rebuilt it will be dyno'd. If everthing goes as planned "Mid-Life Crisis" will be getting a race motor when it is all done.

you can go 1MM oversized.. ferrea i think has the valves you need.. im not sure if you can go larger.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
labrat469 said:

Nice to see a NA owner staying NA and making her bigger and better:icon_bigg Supertech also makes bigger valves for the 7M. If you plan on going with bigger cams might as well get some springs, Ferrea makes a nice set. Might as well make that PNP work for you:naughty: Let us know what ya dyno and welcome to da club.

macjac69

Supramania Contributor
Feb 5, 2007
Mississippi
Greets from the Sip, I'm over in Meridian, MS. you know anything bout TVR automotive over there in Tuscaloosa?

labrat469

Aug 1, 2007
Alabama
I've heard of Team Venture Racing. Some good and some bad.

But since H&M is giving me a place to work on and a place to store my cars, and parts at wholesale prices, I'll be staying with H&M. The guys don't mind me haning out there on my off days and teaching me the finer points of building motors.