New info on a new SUPRA.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
hottscennessey said:
It wont be FWD. Then it would just be a celica. I doubt it'll have the "Supra" name anyways. Its rare for a car comany to stop making a car, and then continue under the same name. Take the Integra for example.. it became the RSX under Acura.

Really?

General motors

malibu
GTO
impala
Camaro will be back this coming year

Toyota

Mr2 stopped production in 89, resumed in 91, stopped in 96 resumed in 2000-2001....

Ford

Thunderbird stopped for a few years

Dodge

Charger
Challenger

nissan

Stopped making Z cars a few years
Stopped production on GTR badged skylines, will resume 2k7

volkswagon

Stopped US production on Bettle for ..... 20 years?

Not that rare....

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
gixxer750 said:
Really?

General motors

malibu
GTO
impala
Camaro will be back this coming year

Toyota

Mr2 stopped production in 89, resumed in 91, stopped in 96 resumed in 2000-2001....

Ford

Thunderbird stopped for a few years

Dodge

Charger
Challenger

nissan

Stopped making Z cars a few years
Stopped production on GTR badged skylines, will resume 2k7

volkswagon

Stopped US production on Bettle for ..... 20 years?

Not that rare....

two things

1) TECHNICALLY they didnt bring back the mr2....it was an mrS. looked the same and whatnot but it infact was a different name.

2) dont forget they just brought back the rabbit for vw.

cjpp78

Apr 3, 2006
lavonia GA
As I have said before, there is a lot of buzz in the auto industry about a new supra in 08-09. I dont think it is for nothing, I know that there was rumors in the past but this seems different to me. Same story from to many different mags, major and minor a like.
All of the mag rumors are of an affordable mid level sports car from toyota, not the lexus LF thing. Even if its not called supra, im pretty sure they are working on a supra like car or replacement. It makes perfect sense, they need a car to take on the 350z. I think nissan has shown toyota that its safe to bring a real sports car back to the market. It just has to deliver performance at a lower price than the sports cars from the 90's.
The rumors are all consistant of a $25-$30,000 car with 350hp. It will suck not to have turbos but if it does come in that price range, great bang for buck.

Last edited:

bensn8

Oct 6, 2005
Guam
In the Nov. 2006 issue of Road and Track on page 34, it talks about Toyota bringing back the Supra. Some of the specs are reported as being based on the Lexus IS platform, base engine would be the 3.5 ltr 2GR-FSE V-6, 350 bhp @ 7000 rmp, with 290 lbs-ft @ 5000. Curb weight 3200 lbs and a base price in the low $30,000.00, look out 350z, the Supra is back.

hottscennessey

DONT BE A BITCH!
Jun 3, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think Ideal hit more on my point, I meant Toyota not resurecting cars. I knew the MR2 would come up with that statement, but it technically was the MRS as Ideal stated.

However, that is only historically speaking. If there were a single car for them to break that trend, it WOULD be the Supra. Like you said with Nissan, with the Skyline. (BTW I see the Z's as more of a series of cars, not a specific car resurected.) But the point is, they're going to use the name that brings them the most money.

Okay, I'm done.

I'm just saying using the Supra name would be prosperous

Not using it would follow their history/style.

bowsercake

Aug 24, 2005
Irvine, Ca
I don't know if this was mentioned, but recently Japan released the Lexus line for the Japanese market. So the new LS is a Lexus in Japan now.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have mixed feelings on it. I'd love to see a new Supra. But think about it............if it comes, what will it do to the prices of the MKIV market???????? Do you not think that would also effect the prices of our cars?

OneJArpus

Supramania Contributor
Jul 1, 2005
Newark, New Jersey, United States
hottscennessey said:
It wont be FWD. Then it would just be a celica. I doubt it'll have the "Supra" name anyways. Its rare for a car comany to stop making a car, and then continue under the same name. Take the Integra for example.. it became the RSX under Acura.

But, you have to take into consideration that in japan it is still called an integra. AND lets not forget the GTO & Charger have been braught back. These cars were stopped in the Late 60's early 70's.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
"You know there is a new one coming out in 2008!"
Insert year of choice since 2002. Sales people are full of shit.

Let's repeat it one more time.

Toyota said:
Toyota is not a sports car company. *If* Toyota ever builds a car like that again, it will be in the Lexus line and priced like the NSX.

I actually hope Toyota sells a naturally aspirated V8 for 75,000 and calls it the Supra. I would be estatic in fact that in the internet kids would be so crushed.

jmanbball

Yellow Jacket
Apr 17, 2006
Hittin' the books at Tech
ForcedTorque said:
I have mixed feelings on it. I'd love to see a new Supra. But think about it............if it comes, what will it do to the prices of the MKIV market???????? Do you not think that would also effect the prices of our cars?

I dont think it will affect the price of our cars because the markets for our car anc a new supra would be completely different. It would probably hurt the MkIV a little since the markets would probably overlap because they are in the same price range.

dcrusupra87 said:
Here is your new supra

http://www.toyota.com/vehicles/future/volta.html

I spoke to the Toyota Rep at the Miami International car show, he said its the most asked question. He also said that Toyota has not told him anything about a new Supra. He said the closest thing to a new Supra is the Volta.

I've been manipulating a jpeg picture of the Volta in my Computer Science class.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Happened by a magazine that was covering the 400hp vehicle from Toyota. It said the thing could pull more Gs than a stock Supra. Killer part is this was a freakin' truck. The article did say that this would have to fill the hole until Toyota brought back the Supra.

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
rpk2012 said:
I would love for there to be a new gen supra. Would make my next Supra, a MKIV, more affordable. :) heh
that goes double for me. cept mine is going to be cheap anyway when i import one ;) 15 year import rule ftmfw!

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
CryoSlash said:
that goes double for me. cept mine is going to be cheap anyway when i import one ;) 15 year import rule ftmfw!

Your correct. DAMN! hehe Wasnt thinking about that! BTW I got a question for u about that. Could u msg me on aim?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
GrimJack said:
I'm on the other side of the fence. I'll bet they do release a new Supra, although there is a decent chance it'll be a Lexus Supra. Doesn't matter though, it's from the same company.

Bickering about it is pointless however, why don't we all just wait a couple years and find out for sure?

While the topic is interesting, I won't comment either way. Their simply is NOT enough SOLID information out there to make an honest statement either way.

However, one thing is certain. If they do come out with another sports car, In certain parts of the world, it MUST be labeled a Toyota. So while we may see it as a Lexus. If it makes an impact on the world it will be under the Toyota name(via road races and such).

I believe this was one of the more important reasons that Nissan chose to badge the new GT-R a Nissan. Simply put, when Nissan makes a name for the car with races and events, it will be under the Nissan badge and will translate easily over to America. When people talk about the Nissan GT-R winning in Japan. People here understand what car it is. It's possible that Toyota may make this same choice on there next high profile sports car. However that is still, just a theory.

(P.S. I love the spell check feature integrated into the new Firefox 2.0.)

Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i don't remmber what mag it was i was reading it on the ferry and the supra is coming back with 2 motor choice's v6 and v8

it will be brought back under the toyota name not lexus (was perly stated)
price range if remmber right was 60 to 80 if remmber right

now here is the kicker will this new motor be good for power or just freaking crappy paper weight can they make some thing better then the 2jz???

cause it be funny as hell seeing peoepl swap int eh older supra motor in there new supra's