May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
JustAnotherVictim said:
I was just browsing specs and prices and apples were on average 1500+.
I did see a few for less but about a grand is as cheap as they got.
Not exactly what I'd call a myth.

I can only speak about Apple Laptop pricing:

Apple does not have as broad a range of offerings as PC. They do not offer a bargain laptop. The laptops they do offer are competitively priced if you compare equipment vs. equipment. "Competitively" does not mean less in this case, as Apples will usually be slightly more than a PC with the same equipment.

What Apple does not offer is a $699 laptop. They only offer premium processors, etc. This is normally why people think Apple computers are grossly overpriced (because they don't see any real cheap systems).

That said, most Apple buyers feel the small increase in price is worth it. This is especially true for users that require MacOS and Windows. It took me the better part of 2 days to get OSX running on my PC - only then by making it a multiple boot machine. The ability to virtualize Windows on an Apple gives it a pretty nice advantage for those of us who need to switch between environments frequently.

PC compatible laptops have a big advantage in the 1k - 1.7k as they tend to offer faster hard drives, and WAY better graphics systems.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
JustAnotherVictim said:
And spend even more. Yay.

You ever see that mac spoof with the guy talking about why a mac is better than a PC. Its pretty old, and its an asian dude talking about upgrading and games. "PCs suck cause you have to upgrade them, a mac you just throw it away and go buy another one.":biglaugh:

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I have been running my acer apsire 3000 form circuit city for 2 years now and never had a problem, I run photoshop 7.0, internet, word and mediaplayer without missing a beat. Plus my memory is well over 50% full.
The best part Paid only $450 with discount (friend worked there)

Plus GF just bought a new Acer Aspire 5100 with vista, cost less then $550, So far no problems, but Vista is slow to load but other then that no problem to report.
Just my 2 cents