need help eliminating p/s and a/c!

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
i want to eliminate my a/c and p/s but i don't know the part number for the belt. also do i have to change my belt tensioner if i do eliminate both? i read some where we had to use the s2000 tensioner for the 1j but i can't find that thread anymore. any help from you guys who have done it would be great. thanks

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
why not keep ac and pS

i had no PS on my old 7M car and after driving the 1JZ with PS....PS IS THE SHIT

keep it

Tim

Oct 16, 2006
CA
I want to ditch my A/C but keep my power steering. If anyone knows a belt that will work, let me know.

tyler

Sep 14, 2006
canada
Tim said:
I want to ditch my A/C but keep my power steering. If anyone knows a belt that will work, let me know.
take something flat and bendable bend it around wherre the belt should go and mesure how much u needed add half an inch and go to an auto parts store and ask for a belt that big they will have one

aphxero

Jul 4, 2006
Seattle, WA
Lexus PS pump is cheap. Then just make a suction fitting. making a pressure line is nothing like $40.

For a non AC belt its the 2000 audi a4 v8 belt.

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
86_sports_1jz said:
lol yea i would like to but i don't have enough money to make it work.

If cutting corners because of funds is your solution to fixing problems on your car, you're going to be in a world of hurt sooner or later. :)

probably sooner...

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
87CandyBlueT said:
Yea if you can keep from losing PS keep it. 3600+ lbs vs. your weight at the wheel... Car wins every time.

I agree. I was turning at a stoplight (it was green, didn't stop) and the engine died when I put in the clutch to shift and I lost power steering. I just about went into a car waiting at the light because I wasn't expecting that all of a sudden. Granted if you removed it you wouldn't be caught by surprise, but that is one heavy beast to turn.

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
yea i drove my 7M mkiii with no PS for a year and a half it wasn't that bad. but now having PS in the 1J its a B E A Utiful thing

OneJSupra

I'm a sleeper ...
Feb 9, 2007
Supraland
OneJoeZee said:
If cutting corners because of funds is your solution to fixing problems on your car, you're going to be in a world of hurt sooner or later. :)

probably sooner...

Agreed...if you can afford a 1J engine you can afford to pay for p/s. Serioulsy, you don't want drive your supra without it.

Junior

Jul 2, 2006
Ontario, Canada
guys, how about rather than berating him about how wrong his decision is, we help him act on it.

Tim, as far as PS and AC go, so long as your AC isn't charged you should be able to just unbolt it and throw it in a box for if you ever want to put it back on. Power steering, you should atleast put some oil in the gearbox, to keep it lubricated, then run a hose between the pressure and return, and clamp them together. There shouldn't be any pressure so I don't see why it shouldn't work.

now I'm not familiar with 1jz belt routings but if you can manage to get the belt around with all the puley lining up with the proper side of the belt (smooth to outside, grooved to inside). If you can do this, take a piece of string run it around the pulleys in the proper way, mark it, measure it. Now I'll explain the belt number system.

ok, every serpentine belt has 2 critical numbers, the first is the width of the belt (# of splines) the second is the length. Now the spline number will generaly be between 4 and 7, and if the number is primarily numbers, such as 0000000000 it tends to be towards the front of the part number, however if the belts part number features both letters and numbers, such as 0000xx00 the width number will nearly always be immediatly after the letters (which signify the breaking point.

now the second critical measurement (the length) in a completely numerical part number will be the last series of number (the measurement is normally in inches, plus decimals, so there will often be a trail of 0's after the part number)

the letter-numeric system the length will normally come before the letter break.

so for example, a 6 spline wide belt that's 86.5" long will probably have a part number something like "40608650" or by the alternate system "8650k6"