Need help deciding!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ok, I have found a R154 Tranny that looks to be in pretty good shape at a local junk yard. If I buy it from them it comes with a money back 30 day warranty and I'm getting the tranny for about $150.

The other route is to get mine rebuilt, I went to the shop and they said that it will be $200 for labor plus whatever parts are needed. For the rebuild kit he said it should run about $500-$550 as long as it's not to bad, but it has been really good to me and still shifts fine just pops out of first gear (thrust washer). Which should I do?

If I go with the tranny from the yard it will give me some money left over to buy my prosport gauges and new motor mounts and maybe some other stuff.

10secdream

Got Boost?
Sep 11, 2007
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
frontierguy25;1034769 said:
Ok, I have found a R154 Tranny that looks to be in pretty good shape at a local junk yard. If I buy it from them it comes with a money back 30 day warranty and I'm getting the tranny for about $150.

The other route is to get mine rebuilt, I went to the shop and they said that it will be $200 for labor plus whatever parts are needed. For the rebuild kit he said it should run about $500-$550 as long as it's not to bad, but it has been really good to me and still shifts fine just pops out of first gear (thrust washer). Which should I do?

If I go with the tranny from the yard it will give me some money left over to buy my prosport gauges and new motor mounts and maybe some other stuff.

Driftmotion sells a R154 Transmission rebuild kit for 240. I would get the junkyard one as it does have a 30 day guarentee. That way you can see if you like it or return it. If that doesn't work out you can always get the transmission rebuilt.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
I'd buy the junkyard tranny because that's a hell of a deal, then send it to Marlin Crawler to rebuild. ;)

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
^I don't know who Mr. Crawler is, but I'd do what Shaeff saids. I'm thinking that the winkie must mean it's going to be expensive though.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
LOL. www.marlincrawler.com - He's pretty much the man to go to for off-road Toyota accessories, especially when it comes to transmissions and transfer cases. He builds HD (heavy duty) versions of the truck transmissions, and can beef up the r154 a bit as well.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Marlin Crawler wants a lot of money for their rebuild. Standard transmissions here in Ft worth will rebuild it and give me a 12month 12k mile warranty and they are local and for a basic rebuild it is $550 ($200 for labor plus parts). They only work on standard transmissions, hence the name. Their shop is 40k square feet with 8 lifts and 3 drag cars and I saw a R154 that they rebuilt for a customer. So If I do it, it will be through them. I'm going to buy the one from the junk yard hopefully it works and then have mine rebuilt as long as the junk yard one works.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
suprahero;1034779 said:
Buy the one from the junkyard and then save up for the kit from driftmotion and then have it rebuilt at a later time. I keep a spare at my house just so I"m not down for an extended amount of time. Good luck.
http://store.driftmotion.com/Static/Itemr154transmissionrebuildkit.php

yep. this is what I'd go for as well.

if you can afford to keep the extra one at your house and have it rebuilt I'd do it. then you know you will never be out of a transmission!

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Ckanderson;1034834 said:
yep. this is what I'd go for as well.

if you can afford to keep the extra one at your house and have it rebuilt I'd do it. then you know you will never be out of a transmission!

I think this is what I'm going to do. Now I just hope that my clutch is in good shape. I have a southbend clutch stage 4 OFE with about 10k miles on it. I hope it's good. It's held up fine for this whole time.

If I need a new one any one have suggestions on what to get? I have 450rwhp and 440rwtq

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
frontierguy25;1034914 said:
I think this is what I'm going to do. Now I just hope that my clutch is in good shape. I have a southbend clutch stage 4 OFE with about 10k miles on it. I hope it's good. It's held up fine for this whole time.

If I need a new one any one have suggestions on what to get? I have 450rwhp and 440rwtq

if the disc is bad just get a new disc. no sense is replacing the entire clutch unless your a mad slipper and its been overheated like crazy!

but i would say get yours rebuilt, because if you get the junkyard one, and ITS broken, then you have to go through the entire trans swap again! im not one for doing things twice, so thats my take on it. unless you have TONS of time and dont need the supra asap.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Marlin Crawler has a few things to beef up the tranny that most other shops won't do. They also will replace anything that is worn out of spec, including the gears in the tranny (NOT part of most rebuilds).

I've yet to hear of someone having one of their trannies fail.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Poodles;1035384 said:
Marlin Crawler has a few things to beef up the tranny that most other shops won't do. They also will replace anything that is worn out of spec, including the gears in the tranny (NOT part of most rebuilds).

I've yet to hear of someone having one of their trannies fail.

That's also what Standard Transmission will do as well. I just don't have the $1500 to send my tranny to MC. This is my daily and I can't afford to have it down that long. I'm going to pick up the tranny from the junk yard today and install it and see what happens. The worst thing that can happen is it is bad and I have to take it back out and return it and get my tranny rebuilt. I can deal with not having my car for 3 days but not for 2weeks.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
I can take out my Tranny by unbolting it from the block and removing the fork. Can I just leave the clutch assembly bolted to the flywheel and reinstall the new tranny?

Thanks

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Nope, as the throwout bearing hub is too long, there isn't enough room in the tranny tunnel to get the input shaft out of it.

Buy the cheap tranny, send the old one to MC and have two good trannies :D

I doubt that that other tranny place knows anything about the front bearing plate...

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Poodles;1036582 said:
Nope, as the throwout bearing hub is too long, there isn't enough room in the tranny tunnel to get the input shaft out of it.

Buy the cheap tranny, send the old one to MC and have two good trannies :D

I doubt that that other tranny place knows anything about the front bearing plate...

That's how I pull the tranny out now, just unbolt it from the block then pull out the fork tilt the motor a little and it comes right out. I guess I'll try it , and if it doesn't work I'll take off the clutch.

holdbrooks

Aug 24, 2006
Alaslama
Poodles;1036582 said:

you can just tilt the front of the motor up and leave the clutch alone. I did it last weekend.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
holdbrooks;1036717 said:
you can just tilt the front of the motor up and leave the clutch alone. I did it last weekend.

How long did the whole process take you? was it pretty easy to get evertyhing lined up?

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
10secdream;1036873 said:
Well if you have never dropped a tranny before just give yourself a day to drop and install the new one. It is not terribly difficult but you just need to figure out the tricks needed.

I've changed my clutch 3 times, the tranny's not that hard to take out, I just never put it back in with the clutch on the flywheel before. Last time it took me about an hour to take it out. It's just a pain to get it back in with no tranny jack

NeedsAPorsche

Muscle Milk
May 23, 2008
Austin, TX
www.myspace.com
honestly...i agree with just purchasing a transmission from the good'ol junkyard...i bought my motor, tranny, and other parts from a car that had been sitting for over a year down in Schertz, TX...but that same motor's been treating me good for the past two years on some TLC, and the transmission's great, it's just the clutch haha...can't afford a multiplate yet