Need a little advice (I'm a newbie)

bulit81

Feb 22, 2006
vernon, ct
I'm looking at an "89 Supra Turbo. Here's what I know so far.....
104K miles, complete maintainence history, no leaks, silver w/grey leather interior, 6 cyl turbo, targa roof?, new clutch @ 102K miles.

Right now the battery is dead, and when we jumped it, the car idled a little rough, could be because it has been sitting for about a year. It was driven to CT from CA last year and hasn't been registered in CT. The kid that owns it got from his father who died last year.

The car is exceptionally clean with absolutely NO rust anywhere. Maintainence records indicate that his father was meticulous about keeping the in great shape.

I can't test drive it due to lack of registration and a state cop living next door, however I can't find a reason why not to but it.

My question is ........... Is there anything I should be looking at (other than the standard used car checks) and, if all checks good, what should I offer for the car? He originally wanted $5,000.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

bigal0043

Jun 29, 2005
Plattsburgh,NY
www.mk3supra.net
BHG check that first, most the time it seems all 7mgte around 80k plus miles will start to get one and 5k for it sounds a little pricey for me... i paid 2,500 for mine with a bhg but mint everywhere else with 120k miles

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
definitly i would offer less than the 5k just to see if hell go for it. i would also look to see if it has been any any kind of accidents look on the radiator support and all around the engine basy and the rear hatch area you wouldn't want a car that was totalled and rebuilt for that price. some people can do a hella good job at body work.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
i paid 4,000 for my 89' turbo with 70k miles, New HG, body great, and i thoguht i paid too much hehe

souprat

Mar 30, 2005
fairfax VA
pull the spare tire out, dont just open the trunk and look at it, which is what i did. your looking for rust in the spare tire well, thats the lowest point in the trunk and if there is a leak anywhere the water will end up there. and in my opinion, state cop or no, dont buy it without driving it. you can at least take it around the block and unless the neighbor cop is a real ass he shouldnt care too much. and yes check for BHG, use a NAPA coolant tester or something, do a compression test.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Have him get a temp tag/registration for it.... it's only a couple bucks here on CO. Hell, I had temp tage on my car for 9 months, and my friend I got it from had temps on it for 4.

Also, if he's willing to let you, read the spark plugs. That'll tell you ALOT.

bulit81

Feb 22, 2006
vernon, ct
O.K. I found some water in the wheel well (looks like it's coming from the rear window seal) no rust yet, boost gage doesn't work, no owners manual, no targa top removal kit (no signs of leakage there), fuel door cable needs adjustment (won't open without 2 people), tail lamp light keeps coming on.

I did drive it around the block and the shifting is smooth, steering is tight,brakes are good, turbo power is there, no clunks,clangs or unusual noises. I offered $2,000 for it. Good deal??????

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
I got my car for 3,500, No targa roof tools(did have the plastic caps for when its off) same problem with the gas door, 1 person had to pull up the lever when 1 person yanked on the door. Mine had been sitting in the rain for a week and had a puddle on the floor behind the drivers seat. and no speakers. If he'll give it up for 2,000 Definetly go for it, that's a reasonable offer considering some things are broken/missing and he probably doesn't know much about the car.

bulit81

Feb 22, 2006
vernon, ct
Thanks for the input Mass. It's almost a done deal.

BTW..... How did you fix the fuel door problem and where would I find a Targa Top Tool kit???

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
bulit81 said:
Thanks for the input Mass. It's almost a done deal.

BTW..... How did you fix the fuel door problem and where would I find a Targa Top Tool kit???

With my fuel door the spring which pushes the door open was just compressed, I just bent it back out a little and It's been working fine... check that first.