N/A Tranny Into Turbo??

Daves929

PNW Bike Whore
Mar 8, 2007
Spokane, WA
Hey guys,

I have little to no experience with tranny swapping, so I was wondering if you could give me some tips on it

I have an 87 turbo 5 Speed, and have access to a complete (almost) 89 N/A 5 Speed parts car.

The tranny in my 87 turbo is just about shot, shifts like crap, but the one in the 89 is very nice still.

Do you guys know if the n/a tranny will bolt right up or will I have to modify anything.

BTW, my clutch in the 87 is almost new, so no worries on that.

Thanks!!

Daves929

PNW Bike Whore
Mar 8, 2007
Spokane, WA
What do you mean??

I shouldn't have to replace my clutch, as it only has about 20K on it.

Also, I need to replace the driveline as well, is that a direct bolt on as well?

So there's no difference in the turbo tranny to the N/A tranny then?

Thanks again, sorry for the dumb ?'s

Dave

Daves929

PNW Bike Whore
Mar 8, 2007
Spokane, WA
I'm hearing the gear ratios are different in the N/A car?????

If so, how would this affect my car mating it up to the turbo engine?

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
You will need the non-turbo flywheel, pressure plate, and associated clutch parts. You can use your turbo clutch disc, but that's about it. You will also need the non-turbo driveshaft.

Non-turbos had different rear end gearing, meaning that your speedometer will not read correctly, unless you change the speedometer drive gearing.

The non-turbo transmission is significantly weaker than the turbo transmission, but it does shift a lot smoother, it will hold up to the turbo's power and even above stock power level on a turbo, but not that much more than stock, especially compared to the turbo transmission.

If you're worried about keeping your clutch setup (pressure plate, etc) and you don't want to worry about driveshafts and speedometer gearing; just find another turbo transmission and bolt it in.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
They are a little different. Your Differential gearing is what makes the difference. Your Turbo car has a 3.73 LSD. Your NA parts car has a 4.3(If sports package, an LSD)

It will bolt right up, no problem, but the thing with the W58(NA tranny) is that it is weaker(less reinforcements) than the R154. You can run it i'm sure if your car is making basically stock power levels, Make sure to get a really strong clutch!

Daves929

PNW Bike Whore
Mar 8, 2007
Spokane, WA
I wish I could just get another turbo tranny, hell, I could just put new synchros/bearings in the one I've got, but the N/A tranny is solid, and FREE!

Are you sure I need the flywheel and pressure plate?

I don't know, but I seem to remember someone saying I could just bolt the tranny right up without even touching the clutch parts........????

SLO-MK3

Not on the 1jz bandwagon
Nov 4, 2006
Plumas Lake, CA
Daves929 said:
I wish I could just get another turbo tranny, hell, I could just put new synchros/bearings in the one I've got, but the N/A tranny is solid, and FREE!

I don't know, but I seem to remember someone saying I could just bolt the tranny right up without even touching the clutch parts........????

:3d_frown:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Sunnyvale, CA
jefflange.ca
Daves929 said:

You can't. It's an entirely different clutch/slave cylinder setup. Won't work. You need a pressure plate, flywheel, throw-out bearing, slave cylinder, driveshaft, at the least.

Kyle, he has a 3.91:1 differential, not a 3.73:1.

Daves929

PNW Bike Whore
Mar 8, 2007
Spokane, WA
Thanks guys, like I said, I have NO experience with these cars, so I appreciate your kind hearted replies.

If I have to swap everything out, I will, just means more work, not a big deal.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
Save yoursely troubles down the road and fix the r-154 if you know how, especially if you plan on doing any mods down the road. If you have some knowledge of manual transmission repair, it's not that difficult.