N/A and turbo auto transmissions the same?

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
I am picking up a non ABS N/A mk3 next week with a blown trans, do they use same auto trans as in the turbo cars?

Also is there a difference in the ABS and non ABS transmissions, and are they interchangeable?

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
BlackMKIII said:
All MKIII auto transmissions are the same.

No they aren't. The turbo a340e has more clutch packs.

Also, when I was ordering my lightweight driveshaft, jawsgear said the turbo driveshaft was different from the n/a driveshaft. They never specified what it was, but it could have been the number of splines since the number of splines on the driveshaft they sent me did not match up with mine. Also, I think they sent me one of different length too when compared to the stock one I had.

But what I said might not be total proof that the driveshafts are different. It could have been Jawsgear totally screwing up and sending me driveshafts for a different car, so don't quote me on any of this :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ABS and non ABS use different speed sensors I believe the ABS one is either a Hall effect or a proximity sensor 14 pulses per revolution (a bit sketchy on the exact number but I know the ECU translates this to the stock pulse per rev) and the Non ABS is just a reluctor 1 pulse per revolution.

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
So will I be able to install an N/A abs auto trans, in my non abs N/A car?. I am just wondering as I am buying a 86.5, n/a, non abs car with a blown trans, and I need to make sure I get the right trans to make the car drivable.

Also for towing the car, is it ok to tow it with the rear wheels on the road?, I heard somewhere that if towing an auto trans car you should pull the drive shaft because the pump in the trans wont be working, or just have the front wheels on the road. Or should I not even car as the trans is toast anyways?

Randy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
flatbed is best in most cases as you don't want to be scraping anything...

the only issue I see is the sensors, as the auto tranny's CPU needs to know the speeds, ect...

becauseican

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Vancouver
www.bicperformance.com
So will I be able to use a ABS trans in my non abs car?, can i just swap the sensors?

Sorry about the dumb questions but I have not delt with the Supras auto transmissions before, heck I havent even driven an auto mk3!!!

Randy

Murd

Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver, WA.
You can, but you'll have to change the tailshaft and use the speedsensor plus the internal spinny thing <no idea what it's called> from the non ABS other wise you'll have some issues. Did this a few months ago on my friends auto, didn't know about the issues till AFTER we installed it... You'll get the check engine light with transmission codes as well as wierd shifting if you don't.