MYT Engine

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
cool thanks, makes sence. now how do they transfer that energy to the shaft? i'll look at the real pics again later to try and figure it out now that i know how the pistons move.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Figit090 said:
cool thanks, makes sence. now how do they transfer that energy to the shaft? i'll look at the real pics again later to try and figure it out now that i know how the pistons move.

It transfers power to the shaft via two drums that are attached to each group of 4 piston/pucks. the each drum has a radial arm that extends to a connecting rod of sort. The rod is used to drive a gear that rides along a stationary gear which causes it to travel in a circular path. The two small gears that ride on the stationary gear are also attached to another are which is attached to the shaft. Because the two small gears are forced to travel in a circular path and are linked to the shaft, the shaft is then forced to turn.

Again, its a very simular design to the rotary engine, or well uses the same operating principal, but uses a different type of chamber and also elimiates the eccentric movement associated with a rotary engine.

Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE

SF what a waste of supras
Jun 22, 2006
SoCal
www.myspace.com
Rotary i think would be more efficient & simpler.
There numbers dont add up to me and i dont see this being reliable would be nice to see a supra swap one of these engines in and do some dyno pulls of course with the semi sized engine in the myt form i bet it would be more like 300-400hp and have reliability issues. not with oil and friction but more to do with the complex stroke cycle lever system.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Evilempire1.3JZ-GTE said:
Rotary i think would be more efficient & simpler.
There numbers dont add up to me and i dont see this being reliable would be nice to see a supra swap one of these engines in and do some dyno pulls of course with the semi sized engine in the myt form i bet it would be more like 300-400hp and have reliability issues. not with oil and friction but more to do with the complex stroke cycle lever system.

A standard Wankle Rotary engine (10A, 12A, 13B, 20B, ect...); simpler, yes; more efficient, most likely not. Thats the Rotary's downfall, lack of efficiency.

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
FYI - It's Wankel.

As for efficiency, an engine which accomplishes intake, compression, ignition and exhaust in less than one rotation of the crank sounds very efficient to me.

From the basic illustrations it looks as though this might make for a very reliable engine. There's no valve train to worry about, the only major wear points are going to be the crank bearings (which don't have a shifting load like a 4 cycle engine's rod bearings), piston rings and the seals for the whole chamber (pretty much the head gasket).

Figit090

Fastest mk3 GT4 1/4 mile!
Jan 7, 2006
Humboldt County
if there was just one movie with it actually running on FUEL. anybody could make a fake demo engine that ran on air....

not to assume he's faking it... but demonstrations like that one in the movie always make me skeptical.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
CRE said:
FYI - It's Wankel.

Ah yes, thank you for the correct spelling. You would think that after having owened 1 1st gen, 2 2nd gen's and a 3rd gen RX-7, and having just finished build motor number 57 that I could spell Wankel correctly by now. ;)

CRE said:
As for efficiency, an engine which accomplishes intake, compression, ignition and exhaust in less than one rotation of the crank sounds very efficient to me.

As for lack of efficiency, I am talking about power produced vs. quantity of fuel used to produce that power.

A well tuned NA piston engine will run in the .45 to .50 BSFC (brake specific fuel consumption) range.

A well tuned turbo piston engine will be in the .55 to .60 BSFC range.

A well tuned NA Rotary will be in the .55 to .60 range.

A well tuned turbo Rotary will be in the .60 to .65 range.

The higher the BSFC number, the less efficient the engine is.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Figit090 said:
if there was just one movie with it actually running on FUEL. anybody could make a fake demo engine that ran on air....

not to assume he's faking it... but demonstrations like that one in the movie always make me skeptical.

Remember, that was in a closed in build and there was no intake track or exhaust system.