My Hood Won't Pop Open!!! MAJOR PROBLEM!!! AHHH!!!

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
OK... maybe not that major... if it wasn't for the fact that the only way I have been able to start my car for the last couple of days was by hooking up the starter solenoid wire straight to the battery.

OK when I pull the cable from the dash I can hear it clicking the hood latch up front... so I don't think that it's the cable itself... but I could be wrong.

I was wondering exactly which spring I should disconnect or what the hell I should do about this and what the best way is to get to it...

ANY help would be really appreciated.

I miss my engine's roar :(

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
with mine, when i pull the hood lever thing, it clicks but doesnt pop up. i gotta get my fingers by the front of the hood by the flipup light and give it a lil budge with my finger for it to pop up. ive been doin this so long, it takes a second. hopefully itll start poppin up once i install my new hood lift supports whenever they come in.

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
Mine sticks sometimes when you pull the lever in the car, I stand next to the drivers fender and pull on the lever through the window, while lifting up on the edge of the hood by the headlight. It pops up then.

Edit:Knife ya beat me to it.

Big Wang Bandit

You Can't Quit Me Baby
Feb 21, 2006
San Ramon, CA - 925!
^ do that. Thats what I need to do as well. If it doesnt click go over and give it a little upward pressure and then pull it. Or jsut have someone pull the lever while you yank on the hood.

Side note. Where did you order Hood lifts from Knife Artist?

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
Yeah you might have to have a second pair of hands to help you with the hood. This happened to my fuel door: it was sticky so I had to have someone pull the lever inside the car while I gently coerced it to open.

Just don't screw it up!

MassSupra89

Almost done.
Nov 3, 2005
MA
My fuel door does the same thing, I wedge my cellphone under the lever and pop the door open with my fingernail.

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
OK this is exactly what my hood used to do and it was fine... no big deal...

NOT the case anymore... it is LITERALLY locked. My friend was over yesterday and we tried everything that ya'll just said. Has anyone had this problem before?

Someone has had to have...

I will probably have to disconnect that spring from the bottom, but I'm not sure how to approach it...

koulee

Oct 11, 2005
If you can't get it open, I've heard from others here that you can drop the IC and might be able to access it from under the car.

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
Nooooooo!!! That's what I was afraid of... Crap Samich!!!!

I was looking at my friends 89T and was thinking of dropping the IC, but it looks like it's bolted up pretty good and would be really complicated to drop it without the hood up.

Would it work if I were to take off the headlights. Would I be able to access it then.

Thanks so much for all the help guys... I really appreciate it...keep it comin' ;)

DyslexicSquirrel

Busy Member
Mar 9, 2006
San Marcos, TX
OK... done!!! I'm so relieved. This is how I got it open.

OK first of all, the reason it was broken was because I'm a idiot and took off the spring to clean it and test it and when I put it back on I connected the damn thing to a completely useless part of the latch assembly. I'm talking about the big main spring. The weird part is that my hood worked funny for about 5 or 6 times... but it WORKED!!! Then it just decided that it wasn't going to deal with my idiotic spring placement anymore.

OK so this is how I got it to work. I first unbolted the oil cooler and the intercooler but did not take either one of them off completely. I simply loosened them so that I could fit my hand in between the radiator and the intercooler to get to the latch assembly itself. While you are under the car looking up, approach from the mid left side between the intercooler and the radiator and reach up to the mid right side as far as your arm will reach (so that you are touching the latch assembly from the right side.) Oh yeah, and you will need a pick once you start to feel the spring. I used the straight pick from a 4-piece pick set that I acquired at my local Big Lots :) That big main spring will dislodge pretty easily with a little force and then you will be able to either pull the cable and pull up the hood or you will have to position the latch by hand while you are under there if your cable is broken.

If it is easier for you too drop the entire IC and unbolt the entire latch assembly then by all means go ahead, but this was much easier for me.

THANX