My "Going Wingless For Now" Mini Project. Final pics on pg3!

Alpha WereFox

Supraholic
Aug 20, 2006
Poconos in PA
Well Tuesday after work my girlfriend's father welded shut the 89+ wing holes on my 87. Today after work I tried having my paws at some body work. It's not completely done yet. I still want to get it smoother and flatter if I can. The previous owner's dad put the 89+ wing on and due to it leaking and me trying everything to stop it and failing I've decided to take it off. Also another reason is because it wasn't perfectly installed. It was too far back and not installed very well, kinda half-arsed and it bugged me. Another reason I took it off is because I want to do something besides OEM. Everyone has the 89+ piece wing and the whale tail these days. I like being more original yanno? So until I decide what I want to put on she's staying wingless for now and till I have enough money to save up for a new wing. For those of you that have any kind of wing and want to go wingless be SURE you have ALOT of time and especially patience because it's alot of work and body work is definitely not as easy as it seems. I'm not tryin to go for perfect here, just at least pleasing to the eye mainly. All I gotta say is thank God I work at a auto body store / car paint store! All in all this was about 5 hours of work today and one tired arm from sanding.

Time for some pics:

Her old look at the recent Hooters Philly meet (my car on left with the 89+ look).
33.jpg

And here's the body work:

Before the work today:

wingless12.jpg

Holes welded:
wingless09.jpg

wingless10.jpg

wingless11.jpg

Some wet sanding:
wingless07.jpg

wingless08.jpg

Some fiberglass filling and sanding (only showing one side of car mainly to cut down pics):

wingless06.jpg

wingless05.jpg

wingless04.jpg

wingless03.jpg

And lastly some high build primer till tomorrow after work
(hopefully) and then eventually some paint:

wingless02.jpg

wingless01.jpg

I'll keep this updated as I finish the project.

Last edited:

gtsfirefighter

SM Expert on White trash
Sep 26, 2006
Weatherford, Texas, United States
Alpha WereFox;1144860 said:
Yea and the best part is the deadly squeaking hatch of doom is gone! Best part about going wingless till I decide what I want.

The wing shouldn't cause that. You probably need to replace those rubber hatch stops. They crack and allow the hatch to have play so they will squeak and rattle. They are about $15 a piece from Toyota and are and can be difficult to remove because the screws have been lock tighted. So they are very easy to strip if you're not careful. So go check them out. They are bolted to the car itself, not the hatch. Press down on the rubber and if there are cracks, then that's the cause of your rattle/squeak. Removing the wing will just be a temporary fix as it removed some weight but as they fail more it will start again.

If you need some pictures let me know and I get some from my car.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
looks good, did you fill the holes with MIG/stick or did you tack a piece of metal in each?

ValgeKotkas

Supramania Contributor
Apr 14, 2006
Over the pond
I'm also wingless... now atleast. Gotta think whether to loose the holes or bolt it back up :D (subwoofer did it's job at separating the bolts from the wing)

Nice job!

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
I have come to love the wingless look and even helped convince Tim to go that way as well. It completely changes the shape of the car and I love it.

91T breezen'

ROMNEY/RYAN 2012
Apr 4, 2005
NOYFB!
Wingless I could live with, although (IMHO) it looks better with it (3-piece) But going back to those hideous 87-88 tailights!???:aigo::nono:...YUCK!!!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
For me, in order of awesomeness:

1) Whale Tail
2) Wingless
3) '89+ Three Piece

Alpha WereFox

Supraholic
Aug 20, 2006
Poconos in PA
Did some work on her today. The color match isn't perfect (as usual) but I guess it'll hafta hold me over till I can actually afford a real paint job someday. Atleast there's no more holes and it looks better now. More wetsanding and painting will come tomorrow!

wingless13.jpg

wingless14.jpg

wingless15.jpg

wingless16.jpg