My FiveSpeed Swapperoo Quest-ions

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
and so, i have taken another step into manualizing my vehicle.
this weekend i snagged everything out of my friend's parts car needed to do the swap.
I got a W58, brand new stock clutch and PP, and all that other shit i need.
and so, i'll be throwing it into my car once my questions are answered and when i find some time.
p684962_1.jpg

p684962_2.jpg

Questions:

1. I'm going to get the flywheel machined. What should I know to tell the machinist. What's the minimum thickness? I can't find the flywheel section in the tsrm.

2. Is there a outer rebuild kit around? I'm not planning on rebuilding the W58, but am going to replace a bunch of bearings and seals. Just don't wanna make the same mistake as my 'headgasket job gasket adventure'.

3. I was going to reuse the pilot bearing on the parts car because i felt it rotated smoothly in the crank, but i couldn't get it out cus i didn't have a puller. so i thought, i'll just replace it. I'm not sure how to automatic is setup up, what is in the crank where the pilot bearing would be? a pilot bearing? this a dumb question? yes.

4. Feels like these U-joints aren't perfect. Where can I get new U-joints?

5. How do i check the carrier bearing? It seems to spin freely. There is a little play side to side? Is that normal or is it shot? If so, where can i get a new one?

6. In where the bushing on the bottom of the shifter rides is this plastic-thin-like blue material. It's beat? where can i get a new one of these?
p684962_3.jpg

p684962_4.jpg

7. So what piece gets replaced with the green truck bushing?

8. What's this cut off?
p684962_5.jpg

9. My friend said that his dad did the clutch replacement and thinks it came with a new throwout and pilot bearing. The bearing turned nice and quiet. Do that mean it good? the car was drivin' for 2 minutes after the clutch job.

10. I guess i should fix my totally useless E-brake now that i'll be manual. Are the e-brake shoes adjustable? where's the cheapest place for these shoes, these things are damn expensive.

I'll be buying a lot of my crap on HorsepowerFreaks.com

Any more information is always appreciated and i'll probably have a couple more questions to come.
Thanks.

Last edited:

bountykilla0118

In Pursuit of 500rwhp
Jul 16, 2005
Atlanta GA
1)The shop should have a book or a computer that tells them the right thickness

2)Rebuild kit? Umm just replace the front and rear seal and put some MT-90 in it.

3)Get a new pilot bearing and throw-out bearing. The pilot bearing is located on the back of the engine behind the flywheel. There is a tool that pulls it out it has 3 prongs and something turn to pull it out.

4)U-joint can be bought at any auto store

5)Carrier bearing….. Look at it move it around. It should not have a lot of play

6)Leave that one alone just get a new for the shifter its self I forgot what it is called ….

7)I don’t know what that is lol
8)Part 2 I don’t know what that is lol

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
Added Question 10.

-so about #6, i should leave that fucked up thing in there?

-about #3, do automatics have pilot bearings? am i going to have to pull one out?

-about #7, the thing on the right, is that what gets replaced by this green truck bushing?
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26315&highlight=green+truck+bushing
what kind of toyota is this bushing off of?

The list so far on horsepowerfreaks.com
46493 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota Flywheel Bolts (6) $6.90
28755 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota Pilot Bearings - all models $9.36
181928 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota MK3 Shifter Parts - NA and Turbo, shifter seat (green part in picture) $11.09
181929 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota MK3 Shifter Parts - NA and Turbo, shifter gasket (red part in picture) $0.89
181931 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota MK3 Shifter Parts - NA and Turbo, shifter bolt (4 required) $0.64
102647 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota MK3 Shifter Parts - NA and Turbo, shift lever bushing (blue part in picture) $4.60
181511 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota Rear Transmission Seals - 5 spd & Auto (Turbo & NA) $9.57
181717 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota Drain and Fill Gaskets Transmission Seals - Drain Plug Gasket (M/T Turbo and NA) $4.56
181735 Toyota Supra 86-92 Toyota Drain and Fill Gaskets Transmission Seals - Fill Plug Gasket (M/T Turbo and NA) $4.56

Last edited:

lintlars

ROOTS RADICALS
Apr 1, 2005
Ft.St.John BC
www.cardomain.com
I would not store the tranny like you have in the first pic sometimes its slips into gear and you have to split the case to disengage the affected gear a big PITA especially after you reinstall it and realize its stuck in gear and have to remove it ask me how I know!

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
^okay thanks, i just saw someone on here store it like that, so i thought it was alright. It makes sense though. i have it sitting normally now, since i took the bellhousing off. Shifting seems to be good.

wow so much attention to question 8. thank you but about the others

all i really need more help on is questions 3,6,7,10

Last edited:

Syris

Need Rust Repair
Aug 24, 2005
Bryan, OH /Lima, OH
3. You dont usually reuse bearings always just replace.
6. You can most likely get it from Toyota, but I would try a parts store first.
7. Green Truck bushing? please elaborate more on what your trying to describe. Maybe this is a different term Ive never heard of but I have no idea about a green truck bushing.
10. The Parking brake(ebrake is politically wrong) isnt adjusted necessarily but the shoes are. The Parking brake should be just a matter of hooking it up.IIRC

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
3. ...do automatics have pilot bearing. someone just answer me that. please.
i just need to know if i have to get myself a puller the day i do this job.

6. what's the correct name for this thing

7. green shifter bushing. i'm sure plenty of people on this forum know what i'm talking about, noone's chiming in though
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26315&highlight=green+truck+bushing
does that replace the black rubber o-ring in my picture?

another question. can i use the stock shift knob with the sogi mod?

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
so i'm gonna need a clutch alignment tool right? my friend said he can let me borrow his. he is using it for his talon. think it'll line up? if not will any parts store have one of these?

and what is this piece?
p693116_1.jpg

it on a writeup and i dont think i have this piece. what is it?

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
get the marlin crawler bushings instead of the truck bushings, you'll be glad you did...

not sure on that piece in the pic though, looks more like one of the braces for the turbo...

threedguru

Self Proclaimed Mechanic
Jun 26, 2007
Texas
theKnifeArtist said:
3. ...do automatics have pilot bearing. someone just answer me that. please.
i just need to know if i have to get myself a puller the day i do this job.

No Automatics do not have pilot bearings. flywheel, and torque converter thats it.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
cool thanks guys
poodles: yeah that does look like the brace for the turbo.
you see i have everything i need for this swap, but when i go through the list, i seem to be missing the 'driver side engine-trans "wing" bracket' aka 'lower engine brace'
what does this look like? i read it keeps the engine from rocking back and forth, and remember when ripping apart the parts car, i could rock the engine back and forth with my hands. so im thinking it was already off the car?
just a picture or a description or anything of this piece would be helpful.

shepfly

Jul 23, 2007
Ohio
The circled part supports the downpipe from the turbo, rusty end clamped to pipe with hoseclamp, bolts to forward face of bellhousing on other end.

theKnifeArtist

Fire on High!
Apr 6, 2006
North Jersey
some more questions.
-i don't want to bypass the neutral safety switch. how do i wire it to the switch on the clutch pedal? all i need to know is the terminals on the switch.

-this tranny came off of an 87 na without abs. what's this going to mean because it's missing that abs plug on the tranny?

-how can i torque the flywheel bolts without spinning the motor? it was hard enough getting the flexplate off. i put a wrench in a hole in the flexplate and had it jam itself to keep it from moving. and it was still hard to break the bolts free. what do i do to put it on?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
- I think you just close the circuit, but IIRC cruise control won't work, or the alarm won't arm or something...

- ABS won't work without that sensor, you may be able to add the sensor, but I don't think the actuall ring is inside the tranny, experts will have to comment on this...

- this is easy, put a wrench on the front crank bolt and have someone hold it