My car is a POS whats wrong with it?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
jetjock;1030824 said:
Nah, it's just a car these days. The love affair was pretty much over a long time ago. The actual plan is to drop it from a helo at an airshow. That way I can write it off. Wouldn't be the first time. Film at 11 ;)

I would pay 5 bucks to see that. Much more entertaining than just crushing it.

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
I took the battery in to get it tested and it was shot. I got a new battery and put it in and it started up. Now it idles really high and revs on it own. It revs from 1500-1900 rpms. I let it run for several minutes thinking maybe it would stop, but i wasnt that lucky...:nono: Any ideas as to why it might be doing this? And also why my battery keeps going dead? Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas so far.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
mk3supra;1029077 said:
iv replaced the new battery with another new battery and it did the same thing. So, i replaced that battery with the one out of my white supra and its holding a charge but still doesn't start. I go to crank it and all i hear is it clicking. I know the battery is good and is fully charged, and has good connections.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mk3supra;1035085 said:
The timing is fine. I have driven the car several times before and it ran great. I doubt replacing the dead battery with a good battery disturbed the timing...
Well the timing maybe ok if you checked it with a timing light and the jumper wire across E1 and Te1 like it says in the TSRM. The reference to TPS is "throttle position sensor", it also has to be set according to the TSRM. And BTW have you checked for any codes?

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
finally got time to work on the car a little bit. Checked the timing according to the trsm and its right on. I checked for codes and it threw a code 43. Start Signal

Diagnosis

* No "STA" signal to ECU until engine speed reaches 800RPM with vehicle not moving.

Trouble Area

* Ignition switch circuit.
* Ignition switch
* ECU

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
mk3supra;1039533 said:
I bypassed the neutral safety switch, i dont think that has anything to do with the security system. Other than that, i have not bypassed the security system.

Why did you bypass the neutral safety switch? It keeps you from accidentally starting the car in gear. That could be the reason you have code 43, as it is part of the ignition circuit.

I'm not sure if the n.s.s. on the auto is wired thru the anti theft box, but the clutch switch was on my standard. The anti-theft was giving me fits, so I pulled the box, and rewired the clutch switch. I've had the same code since then.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
From my recollection you cant just "pull the box" on the anti-theft, you have to splice a wire or two. I forget exactly the process but Im sure its been talked about on here a dozen or more times.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
That's why I had to rewire the clutch switch. I don't recall having to do anything else for the car to start, though. I'll have to look into that, thanks.

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
I bypassed the n.s.s because i couldnt get the car to start and traced it down to the n.s.s. I tried adjusting it per the trsm and it still didnt work. Bypassed it and it fired right up. I thought maybe the code 43 is due to that, but im still not sure. Does anyone know for sure whether or not bypassing the neutral safety switch would cause a code 43?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mk3supra;1039568 said:
I bypassed the n.s.s because i couldnt get the car to start and traced it down to the n.s.s. I tried adjusting it per the trsm and it still didnt work. Bypassed it and it fired right up. I thought maybe the code 43 is due to that, but im still not sure. Does anyone know for sure whether or not bypassing the neutral safety switch would cause a code 43?
Read cuel's post :)

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
cuel;1039547 said:
It keeps you from accidentally starting the car in gear. That could be the reason you have code 43, as it is part of the ignition circuit.

AJ'S 88NA;1039586 said:
Read cuel's post :)

If you read my post, you would have read where i asked if anyone knew for sure if it would cause the code.

BTW, thanks for the useful information cuel.

cuel

Supramania Contributor
Jan 8, 2007
Baytown, Texas
Unless you're rewire is wrong, and causing a draw on the battery, I doubt it had any effect on your original problem.
No, I can't say positively that your bypass is the reason for a code 43, as I haven't done the research required. I can positively say that if you think the switch is bad, you need to replace it, and return the wiring to its stock configuration. Its there for a reason, and its a good reason...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
As I ststed before, if you starter wire is not strong enough to get the signal back to your ECU, it could cause a code 43. I bypassed my starter wire, as it was too weak to get my car to start. I'm currently changing my harness to get rid of code 43, and a couple other codes due to a weak ass harness. Does anyone know what codes cause the ECU to pull timing?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mk3supra;1039627 said:
If you read my post, you would have read where i asked if anyone knew for sure if it would cause the code.

BTW, thanks for the useful information cuel.
Your original post said you were sure it wasn't the battery that was causing it not to start. Cuel and Forced torque gave you possible reasons for the code 43, there's a couple of more possible reasons for the 43, so I guess to know for sure you'll have to trace it down.