My car is a POS whats wrong with it?

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
It doesn't like to start. At first, the battery seemed to drain overnight and i have to jump it to start it. I would get in the car and no lights would light up on the dash, nothing. iv replaced the new battery with another new battery and it did the same thing. So, i replaced that battery with the one out of my white supra and its holding a charge but still doesn't start. I go to crank it and all i hear is it clicking. I know the battery is good and is fully charged, and has good connections. The starter was just rebuilt a few months ago, and i have the neutral safety switch bypassed. The only thing i can think of is if its not getting a good ground somewhere, or if its my starter relay.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
I say you may of activated your stock alarm... try locking the car and unlocking the car... Or you have a bad starter put the car in gear and rock the car and try starting it, your starter might be getting stuck on the flywheel...

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
mk3supra;1029077 said:
It doesn't like to start. At first, the battery seemed to drain overnight and i have to jump it to start it. I would get in the car and no lights would light up on the dash, nothing. iv replaced the new battery with another new battery and it did the same thing. So, i replaced that battery with the one out of my white supra and its holding a charge but still doesn't start. I go to crank it and all i hear is it clicking. I know the battery is good and is fully charged, and has good connections. The starter was just rebuilt a few months ago, and i have the neutral safety switch bypassed. The only thing i can think of is if its not getting a good ground somewhere, or if its my starter relay.
First off is it a Supra? There are no POS with the Supra badge. Maybe a poorly maintained, or one that has been butchered by some previous owners.

Have you checked all your grounds, the tension on the belts, the connections on the starter? The "starter was just rebuild a few months ago", by who? Did it just start doing this, or has it been sitting for awhile?

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
thechori;1029203 said:
i lol'd hard at the title.
the follow up post is almost as funny. It SEEMS like an actual post asking for help but its really just a cleverly disguided complaint. :sarcasm:

mk3supra

Apr 22, 2005
Decatur, IL
www.supramania.com
I figured the title would get more people to look at it lol. The alarm is not set, i checked that. I bought the car and it was not running and had problems getting it started when i got it. I am still trying to get the bugs worked out of it. I checked the wire going to the starter, its fine. I had the starter rebuilt by a local shop.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
Alot of times the click no start problems can be traced down to a bad/corroded connection. Check your main grounds and the clean and reconnect the main supply line to the starter (I like to use a brass wire brush on die grinder or dremel). If that doesnt help check to make sure the smaller wire on the starter is getting 12v when the key is turned (suggesting if its not, that the problem lies in the key switch circuit)

Finding out why a starter wont turn over is one of the easiest circuits on the car to diagnose. Im a complete electrical Neanderthal and even I can do that.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
I know you said the battery is good, but just for shits and giggles try it again. Mine does this when the battery is lowish (8-10V). Also, try having someone jiggle the battery wires while you're trying to start it. I have this problem from time to time and these two things usually get the job done.

Frank Rizzo

Banned
Jul 25, 2007
Fixing your girl's car
NAS doesn't have CPS?!!

What about J Z?!

OMG

You should have more than 9 volts while cranking, 12.6v with no load, and 14.4v with the engine running, a functioning alt and a fully charged battery.

Last edited:

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
jetjock;1030785 said:
Uh, read the initial post folks. Car won't crank. Whatever form of ignition system he has can't be involved.

Yeah seen that but I'd figured I'd let them ramble on.

You wouldn't really chrush your supra now would you JJ? I mean it's got to be like a member of the family by now, I know mine is after having it for 20 years :)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Quin;1030637 said:
Ignore that, NAs don't have a CPS.

Really, then how is crank position and speed detemined? When will this nonsense stop?

The pickup is inside the distributor. The difference between the GE and GTE is the GTE doesn't have a distributor cap on top of the CPS, as it has a coil pack.