Multi Layer HG...Any good??

adampecush

Regular Supramaniac
May 11, 2006
Edmonton
so what seems to be the problem then. I can guarantee you the ebay gasket and your everyday mhg is gonna be from the same factory. A manufacturer can not simply just throw a cheap metal gasket together like one could throw a cheap exhaust manifold together. A significant tooling investment is required to stamp a spring steel gasket. This would be an item that would not be easily or cheaply "knocked off".

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
adampecush said:
...A manufacturer can not simply just throw a cheap metal gasket together like one could throw a cheap exhaust manifold together. A significant tooling investment is required to stamp a spring steel gasket. This would be an item that would not be easily or cheaply "knocked off".
As I see it!

Furthermore, the seller is Paradise Racing.
They have been selling Cometic gasket to the MKIII Community for some time.
The seller is even a member of SF and I seen him post there a couple of times too.
I think his name is Bob, IIRC. [EDIT: nope, it is Luis]

Why does it not say Cometic in the eBay listing? Maybe it is because some manufacturers like to see their products marketed in a certain way, and not marketed in other ways. So to go around this, Paradise Racing just does not list them by their name.

In short, it most likely is a Cometic gasket--what seems to be the most proven of all headgaskets.
And I don't think I ever seen any metal head gasket with less or more than three metal layers.

So now, (to the thread starter) go to this site and if you have any Q's, ask Luis:
http://www.paradiseracing.com/gaskets-toyota.htm

And then you can come back and confirm my suspicions. :)

Last edited:

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
mabye is just an old batch with the fuck up rivit in them and they don't wana put there name on it hummmmm choudl this be ture hummmmmm mabye

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
NashMan said:
mabye is just an old batch with the fuck up rivit in them and they don't wana put there name on it hummmmm choudl this be ture hummmmmm mabye

I ordered a brand new cometic from HPF, about 3-4 months ago, it was shipped directly from Cometic, and it still had the rivet that I had to remove!

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
If that's a Cometic...it's a good price. You still need one the correct thickness though ;) Contact them like Tony suggested and maybe you can get exactly what you need.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
jdub said:
How do you know a 2mm thickness is going to meet your specific requirements? ;)

I'd stay away from it...there are a couple of brands (Cometic, Titan) that don't carry the hefty price tag an HKS or Greddy does. And they are proven on a 7M. Plus, you have no idea of the quality of the coating on the MHG...that coating is what makes the initial seal. You get what you pay for ;)

Its a cometic hg i almost ordered it off them but found one local

JB91389

decisions...decisions...
Jun 22, 2006
Ottawa
thx for all the info guys, but Again I wont order anything until I find out how much needs to be shaved off my head....Does someone have the link with the calculations? I remeber seeing it here.

starscream5000

Senior VIP Member
Aug 23, 2006
Hot and Humid, KY

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
first off, paradise racing is a very reputable company and i have purchased 2 gaskets from them. i know of many people that have purchased a gasket from paradise.

2nd, it's a cometic. :) IMHO the cometic are better than the HKS, TITAN, ETC..

malloynx

Mar 30, 2005
NC
yea, the cometic is more "forgiving" than the other unit. i really don't know how they acomplish this. i know on there site; they say an RA of 50 is good for sealing.

here is my take. i blew a MHG, pulled the head, both surfaces were still in great shape. installed a 2.0mm cometic and all has been fine for the past 8 months. i beat the living hell out of my motor.

JustAnotherVictim

Supramania Contributor
malloynx said:
yea, the cometic is more "forgiving" than the other unit. i really don't know how they acomplish this. i know on there site; they say an RA of 50 is good for sealing.

here is my take. i blew a MHG, pulled the head, both surfaces were still in great shape. installed a 2.0mm cometic and all has been fine for the past 8 months. i beat the living hell out of my motor.
However, you should still get it as smooth as possible extra insurance.