Most annoying thing from SM

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
Supracentral said:
The database is getting big. It's eating lots of memory.

Unfortunately, server ram is a little more money than workstation stuff:

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=348189

Over $350 a gig.

If anyone wants to help with the ram, my paypal is webmaster@supracentral.com, otherwise, be quiet... :D

Do you have the Database running on the same server as the Web Server?

How large is SM's Database?

From the spec's of the ram you must be running on a pretty old server.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
rumptis said:
Do you have the Database running on the same server as the Web Server?

Yea, remember this site has no paid vendors, advertisers or sponsors. Just me. It's a single server at the moment. I've given thought to buying a new pair of boxes and splitting them, but that's a lot of cash outlay for a "non profit" site.

rumptis said:
How large is SM's Database?

Since I moved the file attachments out of the db an onto the file system the db is down to less than a GB. It's the way vBulletin does it's queries that's really the issue. It's not very efficient.

rumptis said:
From the spec's of the ram you must be running on a pretty old server.

It's an IBM e-Series 440.. It was new when I bought it for the site. We've been running on the same hardware for a couple of years.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
How about creating a donation/paid subscriptions module? Axe out one of the less important links at the top of the page, such as calendar or members list, which can always be viewed other ways.

TurboFreak

NOBAMA
Jan 22, 2006
East Coast
Ever though about opening a Premium/ VIP section? Pay like 5 or 10 bucks to be VIP/Premium. Maybe only allow paying members to view Theresa's VIP Room or something?

yaitsme

Beach Bum
Mar 2, 2006
Cheatham County, TN
Supracentral said:
If anyone wants to help with the ram, my paypal is ... :D

Despite the MkIII owner's "cheap" reputation, I'd bet you could do okay with that if you're serious - maybe setup something like CS.com's "supporter levels"?

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
I've always shied away from that paid model thing. But SM does get more and more expensive to run every year.

I don't know. A lot of people besides me would have to decide we wanted to go that way...

I'd rather keep doing things the way we do now. With people shooting the occasional $5, $10 or $20 my way when they get a chance.

Our vBulletin license will come up for renewal in March. That's another $85 that will have to be spent. So yes, donations are welcome.

Tanya

Supramania Contributor
Aug 15, 2005
Naples, FL
Poll!

Seriously, besides this thread, how often do you post your paypal addy up for donations? I really have no clue to how much it costs to run a forum, Ive heard anywhere from mildly expensive, to outrageous, and that covers a large area. large enough, I think, to reasonably ask for donations.

You run a great site with a gallery and many sections, let us vendors have our spots for no cost, and generally allow a lot of freedom for us members. The least WE could do, would be to donate some dinero when we can. But if it is not obvious on how to donate, then its most likely going to be a rare occurance. Not every member will view this thread, because of the title, but to have a donate module would be quite obvious.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
Supracentral said:
Our vBulletin license will come up for renewal in March. That's another $85 that will have to be spent. So yes, donations are welcome.

Didn't you use to use phpBB for the forum which is free?

I would imagine that everybody that is active could hand out 5 bucks if they wanted to, I have no idea how many active members we have. All they would have to do is not go to Mcdonalds one day for lunch or stay out of the Boost for a day to save 5 bucks. Me being married with 4 kids I could even swing 5 bucks :)

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
rumptis said:
Didn't you use to use phpBB for the forum which is free?

No, the reason we lost the old site in early 2003 was phpBB. It got hacked by some script kiddie. After that we upgraded to a fully supported commerical forum.

rumptis said:
I would imagine that everybody that is active could hand out 5 bucks if they wanted to, I have no idea how many active members we have. All they would have to do is not go to Mcdonalds one day for lunch or stay out of the Boost for a day to save 5 bucks. Me being married with 4 kids I could even swing 5 bucks :)

I won't turn down the help and it's greatly appreciated. But not necessary. If I ever get in another tight spot, I'll let you guys know.

supradan22

NA->TER
May 20, 2005
ORLANDO FL
Wow so much info in this thread about SM's problems and all I did to start this was post a Pic of what made me Laugh...... I didnt know there was this many Ill give a few bucks next week I cant let my build thread vanish.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Whoa there Little Buckeroo! :)

SM isn't in any danger of closing. If that were the case there would be stickys everywhere saying "help save SM".

If you want to help out, sure, go ahead. But there's no danger of SM going anywhere.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Well, Mike, as much as I knew that you ran the place yourself, I hadn't really thought of the incurring costs.
Honestly, if you put up a welcome page with a donation prompt when the VB renewal is due, I know you'll get enough to not only renew, but add more memory to the server.
I'd gladly toss my hat into the ring. As much as I'd like to visit other forums, I can't frequent them as I do here.
I just feel that SM is home to me, and I'll do my part to keep it not only running, but growing as well.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
supra90turbo said:
Well, Mike, as much as I knew that you ran the place yourself, I hadn't really thought of the incurring costs.

Most people don't consider what it costs to run a big forum. They see this bullshit $7 - $25 per month hosting and say "Hey, I can do that!".

They don't realize that once you get past having a couple of people on line at the same time, it gets pricey. Once you've got 1/2 a milliion posts and 5000+ members like we do, it takes horsepower to run it.

It honestly probably only costs me about $3000 per year to keep this place running (rackspace/licensing/bandwidth/support/backups, etc). That doesn't count the hours of administration spent each week on it. If I added my average hourly rate in there it would be considerably more. That doesn't even take into account the rest of the staff, who all work as hard or harder than I do as well.

Monetarily, The original purchase of the IBM eServer 440 with it's ram, processors and disc was the big expense. Several thousand for that if I remember correctly.

supra90turbo said:
Honestly, if you put up a welcome page with a donation prompt when the VB renewal is due, I know you'll get enough to not only renew, but add more memory to the server.

I'd gladly toss my hat into the ring. As much as I'd like to visit other forums, I can't frequent them as I do here.

I just feel that SM is home to me, and I'll do my part to keep it not only running, but growing as well.

Thanks, I'll keep it in mind.

rumptis

나는 제프가 당신을 사랑
Aug 16, 2005
North Vernon, IN
I have never heard the story of how SM came to be. Is there a tread on this? if not do you mind giving us a brief history of how this all started?