Mkiii owner....... dire need of guidance

mk3ftMFw

Mini Toon Burnout!! FTW!!
Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
howdy... some of you may know me..

im vsixcamry on ToyotaNation and camrytuner on toyotatuners.com.

Well here it is, im 19 and live in ohio. I go to college at University of Cincinnati. I bought a 1988 Turbo Supra (s package) with sunroof. It's my baby. The last summer i was driving down the highway and suddenly the motor stopped running. I pulled that tank over to the side of the road and the coolant bubbled out of the reservoir. It did not overheat until after the motor shut off... weird.

I left her there for a night and went back the following night. I started it (it was slow to start) and after it started it was ticking. I assume this is a rod knock. So far, i have the car ripped apart and have struggled to get the motor out.

This probably is the wrong section... but i have a few question for you supra guru's .

1. My car ticks... is a "knock" sound more like a tick??
2. What do i need to do to fix it? bore rods? oversized rod bearing? new crank?

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you.

-Alex

ps- razo is a douche. :icon_evil

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Ticking is often just valves, rod knock sounds like someone banging on your block with a hammer.

In any case, it's virtually always the rod big end bearings that go, fixing it is usually a matter of getting your block and crank disassembled and cleaned, put in new bearings, and polish the crank.

The chances of the rods being damaged is minimal, but a magnaflux doesn't cost much anyway, so might as well.

I've seen many cranks pulled out of knocking engines that were fine... but I'd let your machinist make the call.

mk3ftMFw

Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
its pretty loud ha...and its get quicker as i revv higher. So there's no way to fix a valve?

Turbo. Targa. Life.

SupraMania Shirt Slinger!
Apr 16, 2005
O'Fallon, MO
www.geocities.com
Yup, gotta get overnight parts from Japan. Don't worry though, put it on your tab at Harry's :yelrotflm

Just playin bro, really the only way to "fix" a valve is to replace it, and if you do one, I recommend doing them all :)

mk3ftMFw

Jan 24, 2007
Cincy
So how hard is it, and how much will it run me??? I removed the valve cover today and i cant see shit, all i can see is the rods meeting up on the button looking valves.

Supra87T

2-Tone BLUE
Feb 23, 2006
Cincinnati, OH
i see your from cincinnati, take your head to bischoff engine services (812) 637-5933 in harrison. they'll rebuild your head for a reasonable price.