mk3's and rain

Frankenstien

Mar 2, 2008
Lower Mainland, B.C.
I drive my Supra (TTR) year-round as it's my only car. I have never unintentionally lost traction without intending to in the rain or snow, or even dry for that matter. It's been stated many times before, conditions dictate the speed and which tires you should be running.

It's common sense really, if there's snow or frost on the ground, run *good* (not wal-mart special) winter tires on all four corners. If it wet, then run all seasons/ or wet+dry tires all the way around. If it's dry, run what you want, just be aware the softer compound wet/snow tires *will* wear out faster than dry tires.

I have 2 separate sets of tires at the moment, both sets are mounted on rims and ready to switch whenever I want. I have my Spring/Summer/Fall tires on MKIV TT rims and a set of 4 winter tires munted on 16" steelies. All I have to do when it starts getting colder is pull into the garage and spend 20 min. switching my tires, all of which have been previously balanced so I needn't waste my time having a shop balance them for me when I need to be somewhere.

Ideally I'll have 3 sets. One for winter, one for spring/fall, and one for summer.
But since I live in the Fraser valley, it never really dries out enough for it to be feasible for me to run "dry" tires.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
I only have one set of rims so I have all-season tires on em and my supra is DD. If I could afford to have one set of winter tires and one set of summer tires I would, but I don't have the money for the 2nd set of rims/tires. Should be a fun winter...

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
its all about slowing down in the rain. it just not worth crashing your car to save a little time. its hard to see your car smashed up thats all i can say. especially if its nice.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
look at the page before this one. that was my old car. a black 89 turbo just like my new car. just it was clean as they get. in and out. i wish i still had that thing. with the amount of money i spent on crashing cars this year i could have a sweet motor. :cry:

vas85

SupraNut
Sep 29, 2006
Sydney, AU
Moy;1177725 said:
I only have one set of rims so I have all-season tires on em and my supra is DD. If I could afford to have one set of winter tires and one set of summer tires I would, but I don't have the money for the 2nd set of rims/tires. Should be a fun winter...

If you lived in Sydney, Australia i'd have 4x sawblades waiting for you ;)

When I got my car I quickly went to the Charcoal TTR 5spokes, and then to my current 18's. So I have 8 spare rims+tires come a rainy day and 6 of them are 90%+ tread, which I don't see myself ever using except for drift day, car slides like wild on 225s though, and is a bit more tame on 265's.

Jayhall

WHIP THE PISS OUT OF THEM
May 7, 2005
Surrey BC
stopping distance?

p1186042_1.jpg

p1186042_2.jpg

you just never know when a bmw will decide that hes got enough time to make a turn infront of you
p1186042_3.jpg